View Single Post
Old 30-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

I've taken the covers off already, front and back, and have directly visualised all the different prisms. None appear to have any collimation screws. I've read enough articles on collimating binoculars that have external screws to know what I'm supposed to be looking for and I'm reasonably certain that there are no adjustment screws.

The good news is that by taking it apart and putting it together again, the collimation error seems largely to have been fixed! Also, having figured out how old binoculars can be taken apart and put back together, I've finally fixed my other grandfather's 7x50s which have had a loose prism rattling around in them. If pop hadn't died a decade ago I'm sure he'd be happy to finally have his binoculars back!

I'm not completely satisfied though that collimation in my 10x50s is perfect and will proceed to check it with the solar projection method. There is no point checking collimation if I can't adjust it though. Is there any information on collimating the type that does not have prism collimation screws and is it truly a job requiring special tools and expertise beyond that which an amateur with a set of precision screwdrivers could bring to the table?