View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 12:13 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

One such limitation seems to be needing a solid table! And mine did not come with the piece of plastic to go behind the mirror and as such I'll be making a shroud for it.

I was viewing from my deck, which is a meter an a half off the ground and using a small iron work garden table and it was rather frustrating to have every movement translated into a wobble at the eyepiece. I'll be trying to sort something out, maybe a home-made tripod base at a comfortable viewing height.

Pete,

I don't believe you can hack the nat geo scope in that way and the end result would not be worth it. Keep an eye out on ebay or the classifieds section here, or wait for OzScopes or Australian Geographic to have a sale etc if you plan to get one of these.

I still plan on getting a Skywatcher Black Diamond 10" Flex Tube Dob in the future. The purchase of this little dob was to give me something portable that I can take camping etc and also because it can be quickly plonked out on a table in the yard and ready to go without much fuss.

If you are looking at a single scope then I believe a 6"-10" dob is very good value, see if you can get to either Andrews or Bintel to see them in person and decide on what size you can manage easily. I almost bought a 12" Bintel Dob on here because the price was amazing but missed out to another member, a week later I was staring at the same model dob in the Bintel store and was glad that I missed out, it would have been a chore to get that thing out for me. Good Luck.