View Single Post
Old 30-11-2014, 01:24 AM
griz11 (Dan)

Just built this

I wanted to get back into AP but didn't want a bunch of equipment to lug around. Already had a nice DLSR and lenses so I bought a StarLapse. I had a GM-8 before and really liked it so when I learned that Scott had a half mount I didn't hesitate. Didn't like the stability of it on a regular tripod and polar aligning with a video head is not something I wanted to have to deal with. So I bought one of the Astrotrac wedges and their portable pier. Made a quick modification to the Losmandy dovetail so it would bolt up to the wedge and I had a nice little set up for my AP work. Forgot that I'd never really found stuff in the sky much with out a goto system and immediately started scheming on how to get something working with my rig. An encoder is available for the RA axis half of his DSCH kit. But the other axis was a problem. It does have a shaft however so I found a wheel that would fit that with almost the same count as the Losmandy ones. Used the reader from the other encoder in the kit. The additional parts were 35 bucks and if I ever add the other axis I can just use the other encoder in the kit. Waiting on an Argo Navis to complete it. Should be here in a couple of days.

I've had it out 6 times so far. Outside of one adjustment to the worm/gear lash haven't had to touch it. Longest sub so far is 10 minutes I think it will go longer just haven't tried it yet. I suck at processing AP images so I don't do much to them after getting them out of DSS but I'm gradually making headway. This is the last image I've done. Finally getting good signal to noise. Needs more subs and some at a lower exposure to layer in on the blown out area. But for a quick and dirty test shot it came out pretty nice.

Polar alignment is off just a tad. Looks like I'm not going to be able to get away from drift runs with my longer lenses. For anything under 200 though the polar scope does just fine.

Griz
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Starlapse-3.jpg)
147.1 KB693 views
Click for full-size image (StarLapse-2.jpg)
118.5 KB676 views
Click for full-size image (Encoder Internals-sm.jpg)
172.0 KB660 views
Click for full-size image (encoder final -sm.jpg)
112.4 KB631 views
Click for full-size image (swan-2.jpg)
69.0 KB685 views

Last edited by griz11; 01-12-2014 at 04:56 AM.