Thread: Beginner Help
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Leigh.G (Australia)

Beginner Help

G'day All

Thanks for your reply's so far.

I currently live in a medium populated area near East Maitland. I am looking over a neighbors house but don't think that will have an impact as they have no aircons or other factors that will effect. I dont get any boiling affect on the image even at the x480 mag and haven't seen any of that affect yet.

I still cant see the cassini division its just one big ring. I have heard someone say who has the same telescope as me that Saturn is very bright, which from looking at photos online it does confirm what i am seeing. Can this be a factor that could cause the loss in detail?

I believe my collimation is good, i get the laser dead center of the black ring in the Primary Mirror and back again on the target on the collimation device.

The only flair i do mainly get is off Alpha C, anything else i don't really get any. Looking at the jewl box all the stars are clear and crisp.

Even at the x480 Mag Mars is still just a very small dot. I am pretty sure it is Mars as i use it in the bright start alignment, then when the scope asks if a star is what it is says its 100% on. (it used to be slightly off but i think that was got to do with the angle that the base was on due to my back yard not being very level. Sorted it by attaching some leveling legs).

I have attached a photo for roughly what i see at x480 Mag from http://www.risahorowitz.com/projects...gingsaturn.htm at this mag i am getting some blurring at the edges of the planet. The difference from this image to what i am seeing is, mine is way brighter and cant see cassini div. Even at lower mag i still can see much detail.

I will endeavor to take it out to my clubs next observatory night.

Also thanks Raymo for the filter reference, will be printing that one out.

Cheers,

Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Horowitz_Saturn_2012.jpg)
60.1 KB20 views