View Single Post
Old 20-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
And that's about it Ray...being able to do without flats is simply a function of ones system ie a fully illuminated field, a chip with low NU, clean correctly sized filters, wide image train openings to avoid vignetting, a dark sky and.. voila

I am able to surface extremely faint features without flats and I have not seen a single dust donnut, not one, even with extreme stretching

Mike
I have seen one dust bunny in the year I have used my 694 - not an issue with a fast scope and the camera window a fair way from the CCD. However, I have recently started using the dark/flat calibration routines in Pixinsight and am getting a useful increase in SNR from doing so - getting rid of some FPN can sometimes help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Apart from dust bunnies I found flats on some faint galaxies seemed to make some images more noisy I had taken with 694/CDK17.

But I did not have 16 or so flats median combined either so perhaps that is worth pursuing before its a fact.

Dust bunnies require either a clean or flats. Such a small chip is a long way from being vignetted on that setup. Other scopes may vary. My 16803 totally needs flats on the same scope.

Greg.
Hi Greg - sorry that this overlaps with your previous thread to some extent. I also find that the 694 needs very good quality flats or else you can lose SNR by introducing noise via the flats - darned quiet cameras these are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningNZ View Post
I realise, and I didn't mean to derail your thread - sorry if I have done.

I just use my PC's LCD screen for taking flats. With an APS-c sized chip on the AT65-EDQ there's no vignetting at all. I do get occasion dust marks on my images - I'm generally not too fussy about keeping the 2" filters spotless.

Cheers,
Cam
Thanks for the info Cam. Must try a laptop screen. I made up a foam box and that works OK, but it is a bit clumsy to use.

Threads tend to go where they will and you have in no way derailed this one - but even if you had, no problem

regards Ray

Last edited by Shiraz; 21-05-2014 at 07:43 PM.