Thread: CCD advice
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 AM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

Talking CCD advice

Hello folks, the good Wife has allowed me to expand my collection again and I am pondering which way to go since I got my RC 10. My set up is now an Orion 110mm f6 refractor with a standard though robust focuser, and an RC 10 with soon to get starlight focuser on it.
All riding on a PMX.
I have had in the past used a QSI mono which I sold but I think I now regret selling- at the time because I found LRGB imaging too time consuming. Especially with the uneven skies down here. I reckon best seeing would be about 2 mostly.
I am wondering about another OSC -maybe the atik 4000, but would seek your advice as to how this would go with the RC 10 +/- a reducer or flattener. I am trying to find cameras with a small flat foot print =rather than a long cylinder as the room at the back of the scope when slewing is limited - unless the reducer allows me to remove one of the extension tubes at the back of the rc 10 and hence shortens the imaging train.
I am reasonably happy with my QHY 8 on the Orion so I suppose I could argue for a mono as I already have an osc. I like the sensor size so would be going along that size or at least much bigger than the SXVR H9C that I have. I don't know what people think about the Atiks?
I wondered about an SBIG STT but the camera looks quite big and with filters OAg ect would be enormous I think.
Persuade me to go back to LRGB and maybe get another QSI? - I did like the way that camera seamlessly interacted with the Sky X camera so I could do auto pointing runs- something that my Canon and mt QHY have failed in so far. I also notice the Atik driver for SKy X is a beta. Anyone tried it?
Help?
Budget about 5-6K
Cheers
Graham