Thread: eq8 is here
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Hunter View Post
Anthony,

I have an EQ8 which is only 2 months old and last night the whole Dec system seized. The noise sounded like either a bearing, the stepper motor had seized or the mesh was too tight between worm and wheel. Have left a message with Rob at TASCO as to what to do. Up till this period the EQ8 slewed perfectly but I guess nothing is perfect. Had Synta used better quality parts, the price would have double.

What caused yours to fail and was it serious? Did you need new parts?

cheers and have a happy Xmas.

James
Hi James,

Sorry to hear the news, I haven't been under the stars since my last trip due to the weather here in SEQ , I really hope the end of Jan picks up a bit so I can head out for the new moon.

To answer your question, I was fortunate in there has been no damage (well that I can see any way). I have re-run the mount through a whole bunch of indoor tests since the issue and just cannot reproduce the issue . As of this evening I have tracked (via software) 15 objects up to the meridian till the limit is reached and set it to auto park, each and everytime it just parks to home no issues like last time????

So to date I don't really know what happened and may never know, given the time of year it happened I highly doubt temperature had any role so maybe not as balanced as I thought I was??????

Anyway new moon weekend I am hoping to go out again and have a play, I am quite comfortable now with the declination side of things and had the mount running perfectly in that regards last time so provided the RA doesn't show the same issue it is all working a treat.

I hope your mount gets sorted quickly for you, Rob at Tasco has always been very helpful so I am sure he will get you back up and running quickly.

Cheers

Anthony