Thread: eq8 is here
View Single Post
Old 23-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Grimmeister (Anthony)

Hi Everyone,

Looking for people thoughts on this response to my EQ8 Declination Issue, I can tell there is a definite issue in this axis and I have found some other people around the globe with the very same problem.

Anyway this is what was recommended to Sky Watcher to fix my Declination issues. Not really sure if this is an actual solution however?? or if I am just being too fussy??
The motor controller of the EQ8 mount does not support backlash compensation, but the customer does not need to worry about it when he autoguides the mount.

The reasons are:
1. For a good polar alignnment, the driftment in declination is small.
2. Even the guide star does drift due to less perfect polar alighment, change of refraction or system flexure; generally, the drift is slow and in single direction; in this case, you do not want the autoguider to change the guiding signal’s polarity frequently.

We recommend the customer to turn off the backlash compensation function of the autoguider and configure the autoguider to ignor very small driftment in Dec axis(or be less sensitive to it). This will help reduce the autoguiding bounce in Dec axis, in most case, caused by atmosphere turbulance.

Thanks for your thoughts on this

Cheers

Anthony