View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM
gregbradley

60Da in my opinion was a bit of a disappointment judging by posted images. The 20Da was a hot product back then. I think the small pixels of the 60D made it somewhat unsuitable for astrowork. It would be better than a regular 60D but not as good as a modded lower Canon.

Sony is about to release 2 full frame Nex cameras. A 24mp and 36mp sensor versions. These sensors are likely to be updates of the highest rating DXO mark sensors ever - the ones currently in the Nikon D600 and D800E as well as the 24mp in some other Sony models.

A modded one of them is likely to be the bees knees.

The 24mp model is rumoured to be priced below a 6D.

If you ever used a mirrorless camera you tend not to use your big heavy DSLR much due to weight, size, convenience. So if a mirrorless is full frame there would be very little incentive to get a big DSLR which overworks the Polarie, has expensive lenses, is heavy and not really that portable. I tend to only use my Fuji XE1 for most photography despite having a Nikon D800E which I almost only use for nightscapes.

Sony has the opportunity to gain the market lead as it has by far the most advanced CMOS sensors and has access to even more technology these days though agreements with Aptina (a sensor maker)and even Olympus.

Check out the performance of the Sony ICX694 chipped cameras. Wow. Inconceivable just a few years ago that you'd get 77% QE and 66% QE in Ha from a 4.54 micron pixelled CCD sensor.

Greg.