PDA

View Full Version here: : mount hub pro power relays question

graham.hobart
27-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi all, in the Mount Hub pro power outputs- on the PC control there is an on and off button and a label. Do I assume then that the correct voltage out will be selected when the appliance is plugged in i.e 12v but 0.5a or 2amp etc
?
Having blown up a camera before I want to make sure before I plug anything in
(as there is no facility for setting or selecting current or amps)
Cheers

Graham:thumbsup:

pmrid
27-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Graham, I have one of these Hubs too. The voltage is the same as that which is supplied into the Hub - i.e. 12 V DC. The amperage is also limited by the amperage of the power supply you are using to power the hub. For that you should do a quick inventory of the devices you plan to runn off the Hub - i.e. dew heaters, focuser, filter wheel (if it is not a USB wheel), camera, Gemini or HEQ6 etc mount. I use a 23 Amp power supply and that way am covered for pretty well everything.

Peter

MrB
27-11-2012, 01:53 PM
The load(Camera or Dew strap or whatever) will draw the current it needs. Voltage is determined by the supply, but current draw by the load.
As Peter has said, the supply will have a maximum current draw rating which should be greater than the sum of all loads applied.

graham.hobart
27-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Cheers guys
I have a 15amp input with two dew straps, and I will be trying out a camera with it (1.5amp) so I should be Ok as the dew straps are 3 and 5.5inches.
I think the hub draw is 0.5amps.
I see on the bintel site that the dew heaters similar would draw 0.9 and 1.4 amps
So I should have enough in the boot to cover! Even if I add another camera
Cheers for the help

Graham

Peter.M
27-11-2012, 05:30 PM
It is worth noting that the MHP is fused at 15 amps, so you need to limit your usage to less than this. Fortunately for us, most astro gear isn't too power hungry.

graham.hobart
28-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Was a fart in a spa at the end guys- the power leads supplied by HitecAstro were long enough to connect the camera in the scope in parked position- ...... and that's it. They were way too short to even contemplate slewing. Bugger
Now I have to mess about getting a longer 2.1 pin +ve centre at both ends 1.5amp rated 12V lead ?Jaycar
Kind of deja vou (A la recherche du temps perdu) again!:confused2:

MrB
28-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Jaycar won't have 2.1mm extensions ready to go. They do have the parts tho.
Been a while since I managed a store, but from memory the power extensions they have for security camera's are 2.5mm, worth asking about them tho.

pmrid
28-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey Graham,
a basic but very useful skill is the use of a soldering iron. You can buy these fittings for very little, and a roll of 2-flex wire and make up your own cables in lengths to suit yourself.
They're as easy as chips to use and you'll be able to solder all sorts of things together - the kitchen clock, lawn mower, the cat - the list is endless.

Peter

MrB
28-11-2012, 06:09 PM
I made a couple of extensions up for customers that couldn't do it themselves and couldn't buy them. This isn't something Jaycar does, infact they discourage it! Probably possibile legal issues or something, dunno, didn't care.
You will need one PP-0510 line plug(or a PP-0509 if you need 14mm long barrel), one PS-0526 line socket and WB-1706 twin flex. The twin flex may look too big, but trust me, it will just slide into the line plug/socket snugly. You don't want to use anything smaller.

graham.hobart
29-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks Simon - will get that sorted
Graham