PDA

View Full Version here: : Ingenuity

LewisM
23-11-2012, 05:54 PM
I think after we spend SO much on gear, we become somewhat frugal, creative and downright full of ingenuity with some of the peripherals.

I have been a mad keen military firearms collector for 90% of my life. Whilst considering to maybe get a travel/storage chest made up for my 2 scopes, I struck upon an idea, rang my firearms dealer mate/best friend, and arranged the PERFECT chest for my Vixen FL102 - I'll probably get it Sunday.

What is it?

It's an old Bren gun transit chest. Those Older grunts out there will undoubtedly know exactly what I mean, especially any ex-Bren gunners. Solid wood, carry handles, locking clasps... I will gut it internally to make the tube cradles and padding though. Probably repaint it white and adorn it with a Vixen decal :)

Cost - ZILCH. He's got a few still out on the farm gathering dust.

And to top it off, he suggested an SLR (FN FAL) padded carry bag - long THICK felt padded bags that squadies used to carry 5 SLR's in - for it as well - for when the transit chest is impractical.

GeoffW1
23-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Scenario :lol:

Cop pulls Lewis over for a RBT. Sees chest in the back labelled "Machine Gun (1 off) - Bren - 0.303".

Takes a second look, sees bag labelled "SLR (5 off) - FN FAL - 7.62mm".

Freaks, calls the Army and half the NSW Police.

But you pass the RBT :rofl:

alocky
23-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Fascinating to see how many people share other interests outside our hobby. This reminds me when I was considering putting a couple of the big 'obsession telescopes' stickers on the side of my trailer, which I used to use to carry my racing motorbikes to and from the racetrack. An observing partner was horrified - if you advertise what's in there, surely someone would steal it? I don't suppose it occured to him that a trailer full of motorbikes might be more attractive than one with a dirty great dob in it!
Lewis you let me know if you ever have a surplus No.1Mk3 (no star) or a 'T', Ok?
Cheers,
Andrew.

LewisM
23-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Ah, you want an HT... HA HA, though I do know of one "spare" floating around right now, though a rebuild. He wants WAY too much for it. He wants $4K, it's worth $2K tops.

As to III's, yeah, shouldn't be a drama, though the prices are getting nuts. Got a mate in Brisbane with maybe 30 III's - all with volley sights still, about 5 of them are ex-QP! (one came from Terry Lewis' collection, along with a Q^P I*).

I used to collect SMLE's madly - had 197 at one point, then got married... :)

Geoff, hence why I intend repainting it white with a Vixen decal :) :) Maybe stencil it, "Telescope, Vixen, FL102S (refractor)" :)