PDA

View Full Version here: : new nz postal service.

rolls05
23-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Hey all you Kiwis who have about the crappiest deal going re. buying astro gear,some good news,I think. Nz post have started a delivery service from the states. Called youshop.You buy something online and get the shop to send it to the nz post's warehouse address in the states. Great idea. But the max size of parcel is 1500mm x1500mm and 30 kilo. Get some serious astro gear in that package. Pricing is online http://csc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539/related/1

Astro_Bot
23-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Good idea. Finally some good news for the Kiwis.

If NZ Post is really clever, though, they'll extend the service to Australia (i.e. to delivery addresses in Aus), since Aus Post shows no inclination of being as helpful.

Larryp
23-11-2012, 03:19 PM
If it was introduced to Australia, might be a way of getting cheaper Celestron gear for those who want it.

Poita
23-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Laurie, that service does exist for Australia. Actually there are a few of them and they are very good generally. I also use a service for Japan, you can even buy from ebay and yahoo japan auctions with companies like importmonster.

Larryp
23-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info, Peter

Poita
23-11-2012, 03:31 PM
A couple to look at are buyusa.com and priceusa.com
They are handy for sellers who won't ship outside the US. You can even use some of them for sellers on astromart who are CONUS only :)

Astro_Bot
23-11-2012, 03:31 PM
I've seen a few of the "US address" services and seem to be able to find too many problem reports for each of them (so far).

I'd prefer an Aus/NZ Post service as it'd give me greater confidence that I'd get the package safely.

@Poita: You mention "importmonster" - how does that compare to more well-known ones like MyUS or Bongo?
Edit: Nevermind. Import Monster is only for stuff from Japan.

Edit2: It seems Buyusa has ceased operating - the domain name is now for sale.

Larryp
23-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I think the postal service idea is better because it's simpler. Your goods go from the supplier to the postal service, then directly to you. With freight forwarders, your goods go from the supplier to the freight forwarder, from the freight forwarder to the postal service, then on to you-one more entity handling the goods, so more chance of a stuff-up.

MrB
23-11-2012, 05:42 PM
This is a brilliant idea.
Like RG, if NZ post extended this service to Aus, I would definitely use it.