PDA

View Full Version here: : Any contacts for Perth Observatory?

Rob_K
21-11-2012, 11:01 PM
I've received a request on behalf of a senior BAA member touring Australia after the eclipse. He wonders if there is anyone in the Perth area he could contact who could help him access the Perth Observatory to use for a night's viewing. He has booked on the Observatory guided tour but would like to be able to use the facilities for observing some objects in the Southern sky that are not available to them in the UK.

Thanks.

Cheers -

Stardrifter_WA
21-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Access is restricted to the Perth Observatory and the only way that I know he could see southern sky objects is to go on one of the night tours. However, these night tours can be booked out 12 months in advance.

The director of Perth observatory is Ralph Martin and the secretary is Vera and they can be contacted on (08) 9293 8255.

Alternatively, he could also go to the observatory at Gingin, as they also do night tours, and maybe easier to get in. Sorry I have no contacts for the Gingin Observatory.

Cheers Peter

rogerg
22-11-2012, 04:47 PM
There is space on the night tours at this end of the season. I am not sure how he will go organising to do extra observing there but the observatory staff at the main number are the people to contact.

We get lots of international visitors, I enjoy having them on the tours I host, great fun for all :)

alocky
23-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I'd also add that if someone from the BAA were visiting and made the effort to contact Ralph, Vera or Greg at the observatory, they would bend over backwards to be accommodating. It's not unusual for us to remain behind for a few hours after the tours to keep using the scopes.
The important thing is for him to make the effort and call! And keep ringing until he gets through...
Cheers,
Andrew.