PDA

View Full Version here: : Dew shield

I.C.D
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
G'day all.
I have Meade lxd75 8" Newtonian sn what type of dew shield would be the to best to buy

I.C.D

5ash
09-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi Ian,
You can buy one or make your own. I found a handy sheet of aluminium in bunnings in maitland for about $15 and carefully curved it to fit my c9.25 , pop rivetted it and painted the inside flat black. Works a treat , looks quite good and best of all is light.
Regards Philip Fiveash
ps how's the the astro club in singleton going , I remember you talking about it when we met sometime ago.

I.C.D
10-11-2012, 09:42 AM
G'Day Philip,
We are going great their are only 4 of us and we take it in turns to host a night once a month .This month was at my place and for once we had clear sky .So while we were outside with the scope the wife's are inside bumping their gums , some times when it time to go home we got drag them away instead them dragging us

I.C.D

Ausrock
11-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Phil,

How do you attach the aluminium shield to the scope........sound like a good option for my C9.25.

Cheers.

5ash
11-11-2012, 03:14 PM

Hi Chris,
If your using an eq mount you need to cut out a notch for the dovetail rail and make the shield a push fit .Works a treat and stays on .
Regards Philip
Ps I'll send a picture later , where are you exactly I see your 23 km away. If you pass kurri area you could see it yourself.

Ausrock
11-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Phil,

Yes, an EQ6 mount. I have a DIY shield I made out of thin, black acrylic sheet which I "flocked" on the inside...........it works but is somewhat flimsy, hence my interest in the aluminium. I do have an idea for a combined dew shield mount/heater "ring" but haven't the time to prototype it yet.

I'm about 1 klm from John Hunter and rarely get up your way so a pic would be appreciated.

cheers,

Chris

5ash
11-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Heres 2 pics of the dew shield , hope this helps
regards philip

Ausrock
12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks Phil, it's kinda what I expected. I admire your precision rolling the aluminium and getting to be a neat fit on the OTA. :thumbsup:

Astro_Bot
12-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I used a roll of high-density black foam (closed cell) - the same kind of thing you might see in a camping bed roll - and glued some velcro on. It's secured over the end of the OTA with a simple strap. Stays on all night and works well - the surface is naturally a flat black.

I guess I'm cheap!

5ash
12-11-2012, 08:38 PM
No real precision involved just rolled itround the top of the tube to get the size and secured it with pop rivets , then hand formed it . Definitely a novice project. The size of the sheet from bunnings was just right so no cutting required.
Regards philip