PDA

View Full Version here: : Yet another "What binoculars are right for me" thread

Jethro777
09-11-2012, 06:48 PM
A lot of the older threads seem to refer to AOE, which no longer appear to exist, and they refer to Andrews Bino's which I just can't find.

I was wondering what the 'best' value for money binoculars are for seeing the Messier objects at the following pricepoints:

Budget 1 - Up to $100

Budget 2 - Up to $200

Budget 3 - Up to $300.

Whatever you can contribute would be great! For the upper budget, the Orion Mini Giants (http://www.bintel.com.au/Binoculars/Orion-Binoculars/Orion-Mini-Giants-9x63/1043/productview.aspx) seem to come highly recommended at $299. The "skymaster" range also seem to be recommended, such as the SkyMaster 12x60 for $179 from Andrews. Has anyone used these / compared these, or have personal experience with them?

Am I doing the right thing? I guess I want to make sure I am really hooked before forking out on expensive equipment that will sit around, but also want to make sure I get a 'decent introduction' to the stars for the money and don't lose interest because of crappy bino's :lol:

They will need to be handheld though.. If I still love it, I will be getting a scope eventually (80mm APO ED Triplet of some sort on HEQ5), but am holding off on that decision until I get to know the stars better. I then will use the Bino's for helping with alignment, etc..

I have also read that some sort of a "7mm exit" is ideal. Can anyone elaborate on this, and how to determine whether a bino is ideal?

Shark Bait
09-11-2012, 07:00 PM
I recently had a look through these and they were superb. They also come in 10 x 50 and 12 x 50.

http://www.bintel.com.au/Binoculars/Gerber-Binoculars/Gerber-Deluxe-7x50/331/productview.aspx

Might be worth a look. I am keen to replace my old bino's and this model fits the bill.

Jethro777
09-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Ah, I've been advised that the "Gerber Sports" 7 x 50 were pretty good too, but couldn't see it advertised (as a "sport") on that site... Same binos?

MikeyB
09-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Can't find Andrews binoculars? Try here: Andrews binoculars (http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm)

Shark Bait
09-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Not sure. I have only used the delux model.

Jethro777
09-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I was referring to binoculars that people referred to that no longer existed on the site. Clearly a grammar problem. :P

dannat
09-11-2012, 07:39 PM
skymasters are over-priced imo, can be had much cheaper in the US but i wouldn't be buying them as its too hard to return them
Most of the andrews binos are fine & are good value -gerber binos are just re-badged also -they are a aussie brand name like tasco, some of their models are decent,

most nikon/pentax binos except a few represent good value & a decent binocular , there are a small no of models which are of low quality but generally its hard to go wrong with their models

Jethro777
09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Any specific ones that are particularly good quality / value?

Miaplacidus
09-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Technically, porro prism binoculars are probably a better option to roof prism binoculars. Roof prism binos give the "straight through" appearance, and are usually lighter (and therefore often preferred by birders), but are more difficult (and therefore more expensive) to build to the same quality as porro designed binoculars.

I only mention this, because I noticed that Meade make a supposedly astronomically suited binocular with a roof prism design. They're not cheap, and in my experience not great.

Miaplacidus
09-11-2012, 08:17 PM
To estimate the exit pupil, divide the objective diameter by the magnification. Therefore 10 x 50 binos give a 5 mm exit pupil, and 7 x 50 binos give a 7 mm exit pupil.

You can see the exit pupil, though, just by holding the binos a couple of feet away from you and looking for the size of the circle of light in the eye lenses of the binoculars.

If you're young and blue eyed, chances are your pupils will dilate to 7 mm in the dark, in which case, all 7 mm diameter of light in a 7 mm exit pupil will enter your eye.

If your older and dark eyed, your pupils mightn't dilate more than 5 mm, in which case, all the light from a 7 mm diameter exit pupil binocular won't necessarily enter completely into your eye. (I've heard the phrase "wasted light".)

Other people can tell you whether or not this actually makes a jot of difference...

Jethro777
09-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I have ended up with the Orion Mini Giants :cool:

I can't wait to give them a go, it will be my first pair of 'real' binoculars (My first was a cheap zoom one we knocked around as kids...)

chris lewis
10-11-2012, 03:01 PM
The Orion M.G. 9x63 are a good binocular. Fully Japanese made, FMC / Bak-4 prisms. They have generous 22 mm eye relief with comfortable rubber eye cups and are ease to use with no blackouts.
They are not W.P. but sealed. The have a 5 degree Tfov which is not wide but the FOV is very usable with a primarily sharp to edge and contrasty image. Stars can be focused to an absolute pin point at night.
As with most 7 mm exit pupil bino they provide a bright image and if you have dark sky viewing you will take advantage of the their full aperture.
They are well made and should last you a long time.
Good choice.

Chris

GrahamL
11-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I have a pair of these

http://www.opticsplanet.com/meade-9x63-roof.html

roofs are expensive to make well
http://www.binoculars101.com/bin-design-design.html
and these meades arn't great for daytime use the false colour at the edge of field is woefull
but at night they are good , lighter than porros , and definately still a hand held at 9x , pretty robust , I've kicked mine around more than once.

graham