PDA

View Full Version here: : Solar filter for camera lenses

iceman
08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I've got some solar film and need to make something to be able to attach to my camera lenses (at least 2).

I think there were a few threads with some DIY methods - can anyone help me?

Should it go on the lens hood? Just in a cardbord 'ring' that slips over?

I've only got a few days to get my act together and make something :)

pluto
08-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I just posted this Mike, bit dodgy but it does the job:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=99072

pluto
08-11-2012, 11:50 AM
And this was my setup for the transit, but it is way too dodgy to use for the eclipse.

barx1963
08-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Mike
JJJ posted this a while back
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=86579&page=2

Malcolm

iceman
08-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Looks good Hugh, but not exactly easy to put on and take off.

I'm hoping for something I can quickly and easily slip on and off for during totality.

pluto
08-11-2012, 12:14 PM
It's pretty easy, it just screws on and off like any filter, that's why I made it from a filter!

mithrandir
08-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Mike, do you have a solar filter for one of your scopes? One not too much bigger that the lens barrel or lens hood. Wrap a length of double sided velcro around the lens multiple times until you get the right diameter for the filter. The velcro gives a firm but not too tight hold.

It works for me with the filter for my ST80 on the barrel of my Sigma 150-500.

Rob_K
08-11-2012, 02:03 PM
If you've got some spare lens caps lying around this might be the go Mike - piece of Baader film taped to the inside of a lens cap (ignore the round metal ring I've got glued in - that's threaded for a Star Analyser grating & other 1.25" screw-in filters). Depending on the size hole you cut in the cap, you'd have to vary your planned exposure times. Anyway, a very simple & effective camera lens filter with quick, clean change at totality.

Cheers -

Davros
08-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Do you have a Cokin/Lee or similar ND filter holder? If so it should be fairly easy to whip something up on a piece of card to fit in the holder. Thats what i am doing.

iceman
08-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Some good ideas here folks, thanks.

I've got an ED80 solar filter that might be able to be used for one camera, with enough padding to fit more snuggly on the lens.

Don't think I have any spare lens caps. Will have to find some cardboard to make a snug filter I can slide over the top like I did back in 2005 (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-136-0-0-1-0.html)!

UK1
08-11-2012, 04:19 PM
whos looking for a filter......I made one up for a canon 58mm thread if some one wants to borrow it as i got one from the astro shop ...... I live in Kewarra beach about 5-10 min drive from Palm cove the filter works ok but give a whitish image instead of orange as it is Solar paper

Rob

sheeny
08-11-2012, 04:25 PM
I went the "cardboard ring that slips over" path for the Venus transit, except I made of from plastic cut from an ice-cream container:). Nice blue...:P.

Ditch the lens hood and make it a snug fit on the lens.:thumbsup:

Al.

JB80
08-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Depends what size your lens is I guess but for the venus transit I used a pringles container.

It's really simple if not a bit rough but it slipped over the lens no problem and can be taped into place.
Just cut the pringles tube to size and then take the lid and cut a circle out of the lid and the plastic ring that's left works great at securing the solar film in place.

Simple, rough and effective. :D

WadeH
08-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I used some step up and step down rings which when completed just screw onto the lens like any normal filters

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=96930

Cheers and hoping for clear skies

Wade

iceman
08-11-2012, 08:01 PM
All done.

The ED80 solar filter fits great on the 120-400mm Sigma with a bit of double-sided velcro around the lens hood to pad it out a bit. That lens will go on the Canon 40D for up-close and corona shots.

And I made a solar filter cell for the smaller lenses - fits over the top nicely.
That'll be on the 5D Mk 2 for widefield sequence and/or timelapse shots.

Both easy to get on and off.

sheeny
08-11-2012, 08:15 PM
:thumbsup:
Looks the business.

Al.

gary
09-11-2012, 11:56 AM
An approach suggested by Baader Planetarium -
http://www.baader-planetarium.com/sofifolie/bauanleitung_e.htm

h0ughy
09-11-2012, 02:30 PM
classic - just wait till you see mine LOL. its a custom design to suit a bog standard canon lens - engineered to take into account the focus extension and the zoom. it look hideous but it works. unfortunately it is now packed into the bag - should have taken an image of it. you have done well mike

rowena
10-11-2012, 02:36 PM
i cheated.. i bought a thousand oaks optical solar filter :D
i tried making my own for Trans of venus, and i failed due to high wind! but i did get my pics i wanted... so after that attempt i am going back to the pro filter... so bought myself one for my 400mm lens..