PDA

View Full Version here: : DSI pro 2

Yuzza
11-05-2006, 12:14 PM
finally made up my mind and went for the DSI pro 2 (didn't have enough money for 20da)
It arrived last week and i got some shots of the ghost of Jupiter and the Saturn nebula, i will post them when i learn how to process:confused: ,
what processing software do you use for separate LRGB images? I'm trying to learn how to use the autostar one
Hopefully one day i will be taking images as good as EzyStyles

rmcpb
11-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Yuzza, Have you had any success with just the standard settings before trying the RGB routine?

Hitchhiker
11-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Rob, the DSI Pro II is a monochrome camera - not a one-shot colour camera.

Yuzza, you could try IRIS - it's free but not terribly user friendly. I haven't found Autostar Image Processing particularly user friendly either, but you would have got it with your package.

You could stack your L , R, G & B channels separately in Envisage and save as a TIFF, then combine in AS IP or IRIS. What telescope/mount are you using? What file format did you save your images in?

I use AIP4WIN for astro processing. Images Plus is a very popular astro processing package.

Yuzza
11-05-2006, 06:57 PM
thanks for the replies

i am using a 10" LX200GPS in alt-az and i saved the images as fits

Hitchhiker
11-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi Yuzza, you could use Envisage to stack your individual channels using Drizzle (since you captured in Alt-Az and there will be field rotation). Once stacked you can save the resulting image in whatever format you like. You could have a go at combining the channels in AS IP or IRIS.

Ask plenty of questions!

Yuzza
12-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks heaps for that info Adam,

another question, whats the best way to safe the images, normal operation, every composite image...., or doesn't it really matter?

Hitchhiker
12-05-2006, 12:31 PM
I 'save all uncombined images' in FITS3P format. This will save every image you take as well as the final stacked image. I do it this way because I might have a few goes at drizzle after capturing (I might change the alignment stars, or change the drizzle settings). I have AIP4WIN, an astro image processing package that comes with the book 'Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing', so I can stack and process the frames in that, too.

Depending on what image processing software you have, you might prefer to save all uncombined images in a different format (TIFF would probably be the best non-astro format) that your IP software 'understands'.

[1ponders]
12-05-2006, 04:31 PM
If you are saving in fits you could process each colour channel in images plus and then combine them in astraimage or even photoshop. Alternatively you could try to stack each image in Registax and try its rotation function(never been that successful though). An alternative and this is probably the best bet if you want to buy the program and that is Registar. It's touted to be the best image registration and stacking prog around. Do each channel and then combine in Astra Image or in Photoshop.

See, heaps of choices :P

EzyStyles
14-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Yuzza,

Nice to see that you got yourself a DSI Pro 2. Im not familiar with the Pro's and colour filters so I can't really help you out. :(

thanks for your comments Yuzza.