PDA

View Full Version here: : High Altitude Eclipse Observations

OzEclipse
01-11-2012, 02:44 AM
For the past year I've been collaborating with a European consortium on a balloon platform high altitude instrument package that we are sending up during the eclipse. There have been lots of technical problems and we were not sure if we'd get CASA approval so we haven't announced it until now.

The package will comprise
Balloon : 1500 grams
Payload : 1500 grams

The payload will carry : -

Pressure sensor;
Pollution grade, UV / IR sensors;
External temperature
photos and the movie from the on-board cameras
real-time tracking radio transmitter

Catalin Beldea and the Romanian team have done all the heavy lifting developing the instrument & tracking package in Europe and conducting two test flights one reaching 29km the other 35km.

I'm providing logistical support here like locating radio amateurs to assist with APRS tracking, obtaining helium and getting the all important CASA and ATC approvals processed. The safety officer who has been assessing the application contacted me today to say he'd be sending me a letter tomorrow. I should get my CASA letter of approval & a list of conditions we have to meet tomorrow just as I leave Canberra to drive to Cairns.

You can see a picture taken by a simple smart phone programs to take interval pics during the first 35km test flight on Catalin's home page

http://www.astrofoto.ro/

The balloon will be launched 15 mins before sunrise on eclipse day. It will rise at 6m/s and reach 30-something km in 100 minutes. During totality it will be approximately 28km altitude. At this altitude, air pressure is approximately 1% of sea level. The balloon will burst at around 33km, free fall to 18km then deploy a parachute and fall at 6m/s.

It should come down in the vicinity of the Mulligan Highway. If you see it come down and the recovery team doesn't arrive, please record its position accurately and let me know. My mobile number is on the web site. http://joe-cali.com/eclipses.

Good luck and clear skies to all.

Have a great eclipse.

Joe

OICURMT
01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
w00t!

Real Science !

Good Luck with the flight

gary
01-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Great stuff and good luck! :thumbsup:

pluto
01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Awesome, good luck!!

Poita
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Great stuff.

Oh BTW, on your chart it shows the Sydney eclipse ending an hour before maximum??

http://joe-cali.com/eclipses/PLANNING/2012_beginners/Partial_solar_eclipse_Australia.htm l

DavidTrap
01-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Very cool Joe!

Out of curiosity, how do you get to point reliably towards the sun?

DT

OzEclipse
02-11-2012, 10:34 PM
@Poita Thanks for pointing out the typo, I'll fix it.

@ David
We can't point it. The balloon constantly and slowly rotates. The camera snaps away and takes a series of pics that can be stitched or just single frames selected.

joe

DavidTrap
02-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Thought that might be the case, but you never know what clever things people might have come up with!

At least you won't be clouded out up there.

DT