PDA

View Full Version here: : Getting wife scuttled

LewisM
31-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Ever hide money for that next purchase, only for the wife to find it? Yeah... happened to me this last week!

Had saved aside a little for an upgrade that I have discussed on these boards. Was all set to buy a lovely old Vixen Fl102S, and the wife discovered the moolah.

Well, the thought of being restricted in several departments made sure that I freed up that amount for home use, and of course, it went right quickly on some furniture.

I guess the Astronomy God shined on me though - a friend owed me some, and remembered to pay me back! YEAH! By now the Vixen had gone elsewhere, but in came the second option, a Northgroup ED127 Triplet.

So, it now sits in the garage. Wife saw it and asked was it new. No said I, I just repainted the bling-gold ED100 pro that looked like a pimp to look like that snazzy carbon fibre :) :) Not sure she is convinced, but nothing further has been said.

Kunama
31-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I know how it feels, when I lived in Queensland I impulse bought a BMW M3 and in order to survive the blast I was going to get from my dearly beloved, I decided to bring it home on her birthday and offered to register it in her name!~ survived that one ok.

Latest episode was last week when I bought 2 new Vixen LVWs and in my haste paid for them using her credit card number .......... sprung in a big way!

casstony
31-10-2012, 02:16 PM
The worst I normally suffer is an occasional eye roll or friendly jibe, but she's had me off balance lately by suggesting we borrow an extra $200,000 to afford a property out of town so I can have an observatory. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. And no she's not for sale :)

wasyoungonce
31-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Lewis...you play a dangerous game!;)

I know this tune!:lol:

Baddad
31-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Years ago I declared I was buying my first scope. Celestron 200mm goto.
SWMBO placed a condition on it. She gets a diamond ring of approx equal value.:mad2:

She got a ring, I paid $2000 for it on special. Scope was closer to $3000 at the time. She had the valuation certificate $4000.

She was happy.:):D;)

bartman
31-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Fully sick Lewis
Fo Shizzzzz
I have a (female) friend whose husband loves his photography..... So whenever he buys a new lens or anything related to photography, he has to by her the equivalent in jewelry or clothes......
Bartman

pmrid
31-10-2012, 04:03 PM
"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive." It's an oldie but a goodie!!

Peter

RickS
31-10-2012, 04:18 PM
But practice makes perfect... not that I'd do that myself :)

scagman
31-10-2012, 04:28 PM
You need to get SWMBO into a hobby of her own.
Mine is into horses. Some say "Poverty is owning a horse" she has 5 and looking for another.

You think AP is expensive, get a horse. Atleast with AP if your not using the gear it doesn't cost to keep it sitting in the corner. Horses still get fed, drenched, need new shoes every 6 weeks at about $130 a go, and if they're to old or broken still need all the above execpt shoeing but still get a manicure done. Then if the need a vet($16k last 12 mths)!!!. And still cant ride the thing.

Nice choice of scope Lewis.
cheers

FlashDrive
31-10-2012, 04:39 PM
You could always ' hide ' it at my place Lewis ..!! :thumbsup:

You gotta be sure it has... "wife acceptance factor" .... all over it ... before you show it to her ..!! :D

Flash ..!!

tlgerdes
31-10-2012, 05:14 PM
All money is "ours" and I only ask for expensive things for my birthday.

LewisM
31-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah, all money is ours too, 'cept she doesn't need to know some things... :)

No problem with the first new scope/mount/gear, but "I traded it for..." doesn't always fly.

Does MOSTLY.

Yes, she got a diamond ring out of the first scope.

Kunama
31-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Delusion and denial right there !!!;)

Barrykgerdes
31-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Are you a man or a mouse!

Barry

Barrykgerdes
31-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah! but you don't ask your wife. Do you?

Barry

multiweb
31-10-2012, 06:18 PM
:lol: Was thinking the same thing.

LewisM
31-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Men are men, until there is... errr... womanly bits at stake. Then we turn to jelly. :)

Don't say otherwise, else be tarred and feathered a liar!

FlashDrive
31-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Awesome ...!! :lol: ;) :lol:

Flash ..!! :D

cfranks
31-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Come on! Squeek up!

MattT
31-10-2012, 11:43 PM
I hope she doesn't find out your password for this forum you'll be in it then...woops she doesn't need it, guests can see all :eyepop:
On the slippery slope....at least you have a few nice refractors.
Best of luck
Matt

Gem
01-11-2012, 07:30 AM
I have experienced both extremes - I had a 10" dob and some nice TV EPs when we met... then wasn't able to buy anything for the first 15 years of marriage... then got a heap of stuff in the past couple of years.

Getting my wife involved through processing and pointing out that a husband has nothing to do at home when his wife works night shift 5 out of 6 weeks helped... now when it is clear I am usually waiting for her to come home late at night! :)

tlgerdes
01-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah, but at least it isnt cost+jewellery, that is surely a way to go broke.

tlgerdes
01-11-2012, 05:11 PM
I know where the boundaries between life and death are.:P

I didnt say who I was asking for birthday presents, only that I was asking. :lol:

If it is a present, it cant go back to the shop