PDA

View Full Version here: : Places to stay out west QLD

whzzz28
30-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Hi all.

Have holidays (forced) booked for Christmas and rather than spend the time lazing about at home, i'd like to take the scope out west and get some dark sky action going.
Sadly finding a nice quiet out of the way place to rent for a week or two (with power) is turning out to be rather difficult.

Any fellow queenslanders have a nice spot thats available to rent out west somewhere? Not too far - say half a days drive or so.
Preferably a single cabin sort of setup so i don't have to worry about other light sources :)

Cheers.

cybereye
31-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Nathan,

Look around Ballandean just south of Stanthorpe. It's about a 4 hour drive from Brisbane and is in the middle of the winery region. It has lovely clear skies although there might be a bit of humidity around Christmas time and I would think there would be accommodation available. No harm in checking!

Cheers,
Mario

whzzz28
31-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks Mario!

Did some searching and founds some really nice cottages available for rent at a not-so-bad price in the area. The one up on Granite hill was looking great... till i found out the cabins are all enclosed by walls of trees :(

Most are still available - apparently Summer is the low season for them.

cybereye
01-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Nathan,

I should have said that Ballandean has wonderful "dark" skies. "Clear" skies are obviously weather dependent!

We went up there over the Queen's Birthday long weekend in June a couple of years ago which is the high season. The area has the "Brass Monkeys" festival and people head up there for the cold weather. Go figure!

Cheers,
Mario