PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion DSLR cooler box

LewisM
29-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Who has the Orion DSLR cooler box available now in Australia? Could not find it on Bintel, and everyone else is order. Can order it myself from the US and have it sent to my friend there, and then him to me, but rather get it here if possible.

Thanks.

alistairsam
29-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi Lewis,

If not already done, I'd suggest having a read of user reviews like this one from Justin
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=98108

Cheers

LewisM
29-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah, read that. I even made 2 peltier cooling boxes myself - each time, they cooled momentarily, then the heat started coming through the cold side, REGARDLESS of the heat sinks and fans I used. NO IDEA WHY!

15° drop is better than nothing. Most nights during spring my CMOS was 24°, so dropping 15° sure would help!

graham.hobart
29-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I have the GEOPTIK cooler which I acquired from Teleskop in Germany I think.
It is heavy, and the things I don't like about are...
it's fiddly to undo the box and change the mode from M to B etc when using a software focus using live view- all the cold escapes!
the screws are in the front so you have to put your hand between the box and the scope to undo them.
The thermometer it came with was dodgy.
SO.. I upgraded the thermometer, and once sealed in (blu tac around the lens hole and cable hole) I got a drop from 12'c to -4.8'c within about forty minutes.
it does create condensation so you need dessicant.
With judicious removal of a tad of foam it also accomodates the 60Da.
I think with upgraded quick release clamps and the blu tac it will be a bonus for the camera.
Yo do need a sturdy focuser as along with the camera it is quite hefty.

Cheers
Graham