PDA

View Full Version here: : Shroud for a 16" Lightbridge

casstony
23-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Has anyone used the stretch-fit JMI shrouds sold by Bintel? How do they compare to the Astrozap shrouds?

Gem
24-10-2012, 07:28 AM
For what it is worth: I have only used the Astrozap on the 16" GSO - it does work well.

astronut
24-10-2012, 08:11 AM
One more for the Astrozap.:)

casstony
24-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys, I'll probably stick to the Astrozap since there doesn't seem to be much info on the JMI.

aperturefever
24-10-2012, 08:52 PM
I use an Astrozap on my 16 Lightbridge and it's great - I also have an Astrozap light shield which is really handy and easy to put on.

gb_astro
24-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I see Astrozap use a nylon and cotton blend in their shrouds that they say is
dimensionally stable with dew and temperature (?) changes.
Do you guys find this to be true?
Is the Astrozap the stretch-fit type?
I use a rip-stop nylon type and it sags pretty badly when the temp really drops.

gb.

astronut
25-10-2012, 09:25 AM
The Astrozap is a cotton blend material. It has a band sewn into each end of the shroud, this keeps the material from falling into the light path.
The ends of the shroud are held to the tube with a draw string. It works very well.:)

casstony
26-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I've got an Astrozap shroud and dust cover on the way from OPT and I'm picking up a used 16" Lightbridge from a friend tomorrow. Aside from the weight of the lower components I was surprised how easy the scope was to set up and collimate the one time I've used it. Good planetary images too.

We're shifting house next year and a good quality garage with a flat run to the observing spot will be a condition.

sn1987a
27-10-2012, 03:15 PM
My 16 Lightbridge shroud is an Astrozap. It works very well, you can get them from "Scopestuff" as well as a lot of other lovely gear for Lightbridges.

Also recommend higher quality mirror (Suchting, Zambuto ect), better quality secondary, feather touch focuser, a heap of counterweights, complete base rebuild with wheelbarrow handles (so you can get it through the door), Argo Navis and better collimating springs and knobs. A never ending journey that all begins with the shroud lol!!!.:D

casstony
28-10-2012, 04:34 PM
The mirrors in this scope are decent - the one time I observed with it we were getting sharp views of Saturn and I had my best view of the Homunculus so far. The main mirror springs seem plenty strong - the scope is only a year or so old, maybe the earlier ones had soft springs.

A plywood base is on the cards one day and some encoders for my Sky Commander.