PDA

View Full Version here: : Letting your workmates know about the Eclipse?

iceman
23-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I sent some emails around work today letting my colleagues know about the upcoming (Partial) Solar Eclipse on the morning of the 14th November.

No doubt a lot of them would just go about their normal day, not realising the Moon is in front of the Sun! Hopefully it will encourage a few of them to get some eclipse shades and 'look up'.

Have you been telling your friends, family and workmates? Have they shown much interest?

(Plug: Of course you and your workmates can get your 100% safe solar eclipse shades from the IceInSpace Shop (http://shop.iceinspace.com.au/shop/iceinspace-eclipse-glasses/)).

Astro_Bot
23-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Shameless! :)

Chif
23-10-2012, 05:57 PM
I bought a few extra pairs of specs from the iis shop and gave them to my family, and have mentioned to a few people at work but most probably aren't very interested.

TrevorW
23-10-2012, 06:17 PM
As I've said elsewhere if it wasn't advertised people would go about their lives none the wiser.

iceman
23-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Same goes for the Venus transit.

Does that mean we shouldn't look?

Not sure what your point is. You could say the same thing about every astronomical event, or in fact, any world event.

TrevorW
23-10-2012, 07:11 PM
My point is that not everyone shares the same interest.

iceman
23-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Is that a point really worth making? It's plainly obvious...

:shrug:

The sky is blue.

TrevorW
24-10-2012, 12:16 AM
I don't really feel like I have to debate the semantics of my post,

Cheers

DavidTrap
24-10-2012, 12:44 AM
I took a pair of eclipse glasses to work during the Transit of Venus - half the staff looked through the window of the tea room at the sun and most were appreciative of my "public outreach" efforts.

Surely you guessed why I bought so many eclipse glasses recently... I'm giving them out (along with a sheet of "instructions") to colleagues, especially those with kids.

DT

ourkind
24-10-2012, 01:23 AM
I mentioned it to a hire car driver that I'd be going to Cairns next month and low and behold she is too and may need up to 24 eclipse glasses!

It turns out that she moonlights as a tourist guide and is taking a group of Polish tourists to Cairns for the eclipse, clearly she's unprepared but thankful I mentioned it :P

Likewise David I have a few extra myself for the poor soul who will undoubtedly be there without any kind of protection and looking at me with envy ...

ZeroID
24-10-2012, 09:01 AM
I'll try and take the 80mm with the N5 in front to work. Bit of a hike, about 2 km with Tripod and scope in hand.
I'll start making 'eclipse' noises next week (they all know my predilection with astronomy so I am tolerated) and get some interest going. Most seem to like being told of something new to see and put up with my waffling on about it all. :P

Poita
24-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm trying to get the schools interested again. Fingers crossed.
They are so worried about potential hazards that they miss out on opportunities.

andrew2008
25-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Too many cynics on here. Ten news just ran a feature on the eclipse and we are still more than two weeks out. Hope is not lost.

iceman
25-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Really? That's great. What did they say about it?

andrew2008
26-10-2012, 02:34 PM
It was definitely more than a 30sec story thrown in as an afterthought.

They spoke to a gentleman from a small observatory up that way. Went over the areas from which totality could be seen and the time frame from the last one and how long until the next viewable from the region (220 or so years though i've not confirmed this). Also spoke to a young lady doctor who happens to be an eclipse chaser from the area that has seen all of them since the mid-90's. Made it sound very cool.

They are anticipating 50,000 eclipse tourists in the area for it so i hope everyone has accomodation already.