PDA

View Full Version here: : My St George bank account compromised!

Poita
23-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Had a couple of problems with my St George account, and on my monthly statement a bunch of items that were not my transactions.

All small and similar to things I normally buy so didn't notice them straight away.

Interesting thing is some supposedly are actual physical card transactions at a few places I have never been (BigW in somewhere called 'Bella' for instance).

The bank is sorting it out, but just a reminder to all that it pays to check your transactions in detail. At first glance mine all looked fine and with all the selling and moving expenses it wasn't clear at first that money was missing.

Now for the obvious ones, I have never clicked on an email re banking, have stupidly long passwords and have checked and have no keyloggers or malware on my computers. Also have never logged in on a public computer, and am in an area where my wireless network doesn't make it to my front room, let alone far enough to be picked up from outside the house.

The bank thinks that a company that I deal with has been compromised and that card details were stolen from them. So it may pay anyone to double check their accounts for this last month.

Jeffkop
23-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Bad news Peter .. your 100% correct, diligence is the key to minimizing the damage in these circumstances.
If its not something you want to keep private, what company was it that was compromised.
Thanks

Poita
24-10-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm actually not allowed to say at the moment while it is being investigated, but it was a large well known and well respected one.

jamiep
24-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Peter,

It sounds like your card may have been 'skimmed' somewhere ... producing a card with the same magnetic strip and recording your PIN they can conduct transactions at all sorts of places.

BIGW can be a target to this as they have the auto checkouts in most stores now - so nobody notices a non standard looking cards - just that the payment has been approved and you walk off with the goods.

Good advise to check ATM's etc for strange looking hang on devices and hidden cameras - i've spotted a couple in metro melbourne previously.

Jamie

Poita
24-10-2012, 02:34 PM
I'll keep an eye out for that. Good advice.