PDA

View Full Version here: : Canon 400d er99 error

pjphilli
22-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi
Some time ago I initiated a thread asking what could I do with the Err99
screen I get on the 400D camera when first switched on. Apparently this is not an uncommon problem with the 400D. Some suggested it was a case of
faulty lens contacts but of course when I have the 2in T piece and extension fitted there is no contact with a lens.
A new trawl of the net threw up all sorts of fixes and I tried a lot (some weird) all to no avail. Then I came across one which said "hold down the Jump button when switching the camera on". Weird but IT WORKS. Just thought that some other Err99 sufferers would like to know.

Cheers Peter

bojan
22-10-2012, 05:28 PM
It is probably a shutter issue..
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=40820&highlight=400d+error

It cost me $250 to repair it (the original quote was for 500!!)
In the hindsight, I should have replaced it myself with spare part from ebay ($50) and removed the IR filter at the same time.

pjphilli
29-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Bojan

Just got around to reading your previous thread on the dreaded Err99!
It seems that various problems can cause this error. I previously solved
it by just opening and closing the battery lid (which as you know operates
a battery microswitch) and then switching on the camera again and the camera then works fine. The "hold down the Jump button" trick is less fiddley now works every time. So I guess I am lucky that a more serious problem is not causing the Err99. Temporarily in Beijing eh? Can you see much through the rather "thick" atmosphere there?

Cheers Peter

bojan
29-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Yep, error99 means many things.. in my case it was a shutter

Recently, the weather was fantastic, clear blue skies (my impression is, the fog is not a smog - it is just a high humidity (96-99%), "normal" fog.).
Only, when it's not there, it doesn't help much - LP is shocking.

LewisM
29-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Error 99 as far as I remember (had it a LOT on a 300D I had years ago) also involves the lens to camera frame sensor - the series of brass "dots" on the lens and the pins on the ring. Canon tech told me to clean the dots on the lens with a pencil eraser (the small one on the end of pencils). It worked - seems the brass contacts get slightly corroded.

But, the Err99 is a catch all error, so trial and trial again will eventually find what's up.

Never had it on the 40D (4 yearsold) and not on the 5D