PDA

View Full Version here: : transporting a 12" Dob is easy

janoskiss
07-05-2006, 07:38 PM
I went on a desperate excursion in search of clearer skies last night. My efforts were almost completely futile, but I learnt one thing: The 12" solid tube Dob is very transportable.

In the old Corolla hatchback, I can fit the OTA (wrapped up in a sleeping bag) lengthwise in one half of the boot and one folded down back seat, the dob base in the other half of the boot, along with eyepiece case, observing chairs, fold-up table, some warm clothes and there is still room for two passengers! (..although legroom is scarce in the front)

I don't think I'll convert my scope to truss Dob, because it is very transportable as it is, and quicker to set up than a truss scope would be. I wish I figured this out before I bought cut to size and shape all the components for the conversion. :rolleyes: So if anyone wants to give me a good reason to do it anyway, feel free. ;)

obga
08-05-2006, 01:53 AM
I have got a Corolla Wagon, and I hope the dob and base will fit behind me. The method will be same as yours.

vespine
08-05-2006, 08:18 AM
I battled with the decision between solid and truss too, in the end I think it was the looks of the LB that sold it as much as the convenience of the truss. A conversion from solid tube to truss sounds like a BIG job and to tell you the truth, the main convenience of the truss is purely in the transport and carrying around. The whole thing is considerably easier to carry by the trusses, which is not an issue if you are using a hand trolley. Also I have a station wagon which makes disassembly redundant too BUT since I've owned it I've already been on a trip with a friend with a smaller car, which I would not have been able to do if I had a solid tube so that was convenient too. Obviously these have not deal breaking features, but handy none the less.
So personally I don't know if the work of conversion would be worth it. Having said that, you can give it a shot without really taking your current scope out of comission until everything is ready and if you enjoy tinkering around (and trust that you can do a good and precise job), I reckon you would have something you could really be proud of at the end of it.

ving
08-05-2006, 10:06 AM
come on steve ya chicken! cut that sucker up! :P

its the difference between "I've got a 12" dob" and "I've got a 12" truss dob!". doesnt truss sound better? ;)
besides if you make it a truss you can fit people in teh car too! :D

janoskiss
08-05-2006, 11:04 AM
:lol: @ Ving!

ving
08-05-2006, 11:07 AM
the problem now steve is that your 12" is a grab and go.... you wont ned your 8"... :(

janoskiss
08-05-2006, 12:16 PM
[quote=ving]the problem now steve is that your 12" is a grab and go.... you wont ned your 8"...[/quote

Naah, the 8" is far from retired. I was out last night with checking out Jupiter with it. The 12" is not really that grab and go especially when the weather is doing unpredictable things (like last night), so you might have to duck for cover any minute. The 8" is also great for quick looks, with very fast cooldown with the 90mm fan (e.g., last night with 20 degree temp diff: in 5 min it was clear at 100x, 10 min clear at high powers). I can also move it around easily in one piece: from front yard to back, or to dodge trees, the moon etc.

The 12" is a lot more transportable than I thought it was going to be, but the 8" is that much easier again (especially once you let go of the box! :lol: ). Storytime ...

... Last new moon w/e the weather looked hopeless and I was going to a bbq on the peninsula with about 10 other people. There was no way I was going to bother with the 12" but I could just chuck the 8" in the back seat without giving it a second thought, just in case there is something to see. And what do you know, it cleared up just for us (even though the rest of Melbourne stayed under cloud). We got to see Saturn, Jupiter, some of the showpiece DSOs and even a couple of galaxies. Everyone enjoyed it and some were blown away by Jupiter and Omega cent. At least one person is now looking to buy a new scope as a result. All thanks to the lil big scope. :)

ving
08-05-2006, 12:53 PM
i like storytime...

did they live happily ever after? :P

Roger Davis
08-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Yeah they did, but nobody had to worry about the porridge or who was sleeping in whose bed, after all the dob was in the sleeping bag!

mickoking
08-05-2006, 09:19 PM
G,day all,

I have no trouble moving my 300mm Dob. Its barely bigger than my old 250.

Starkler
08-05-2006, 10:26 PM
So the moral of the story is.....
Transporting a 12" dob is easy if you have a hatchback or wagon with a folding rear seat. I dont so Im stuck with only a mere 10" :P

ballaratdragons
09-05-2006, 12:25 AM
My Falcon sedan carries my GS12" easy.

I either lay it across the back seat (slightly raised at one end) with the base on the front seat, or lay the front seat down and lay the scope from front to back with the base in the back seat.

Unfortunately It does not allow for passengers. So a wagon or hatchback would be better.