PDA

View Full Version here: : New Posts, Today's Posts and "Missing Posts"

iceman
12-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Firstly, people's posts don't just go missing. There is no glitch or bug with IceInSpace.

What was discovered over the last 2 days through PM's with someone who had experienced "missing posts", was simply a lack of understanding about how the "New Posts" feature works.

There's a few shortcuts in the blue bar above, and here's how they work:
Note: These work best when you remain logged in and not browsing as a guest.

New Posts - shows you any new posts you haven't read since you last "Mark Forums Read".
If you then read posts or reply to a thread, next time you click 'New Posts' that thread won't show unless someone else replies to it in the meantime.

The thread hasn't 'disappeared', neither has your post. It's just not showing in the 'shortcut search' you performed.

You can still see all threads and posts by clicking on the forum in question, or change your search criteria.

Today's Posts (under Quick Links) - Shows you any posts or threads made in the last 24 hours. The ones at the top are 'new' in bold, ones you haven't read.
Any that you have read will be below the bold line that says:
The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read.

Here's a scenario with screenshots that shows what some people may have been calling "missing posts", or for some users, accusing mods of deleting the posts.

Screenshot 1: I clicked 'New Posts'. There's 4 threads with posts I haven't read. I choose to click on the 3rd one and will reply to it.

Screenshot 2: The thread I clicked on, I reply to it. Then I click 'New Posts' again.

Screenshot 3: Woah, the thread and my reply as now 'missing'? No, it's just not 'new' anymore because it hasn't been updated since I replied to it.

Screenshot 4: I can click 'Quick Links'->'Todays Posts' and see all of the posts from the last 24 hours. There I can see my 'missing thread' and had I posted in it, my post would also be there.

This may have been obvious to some people who are used to online forums and how they work, but it seems there were some who were confused by it.

I hope this helps some people, and thanks to Bob for working through what he was doing with me, so I could get to the bottom of what he was doing to experience the 'missing posts'.

Baddad
12-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks Mike, :)

I haven't had any issues, but that explanation is a good move on your part. Should help a few.

Cheers:)

MrB
12-10-2012, 05:34 PM
It doesn't take a genius to figure these things out.
Unbelievable :rolleyes:

mozzie
12-10-2012, 06:20 PM
that should clear things up mike !!!!!!!!!!!! we hope :):)

bartman
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Thought I brought that up a while ago.........
doesn't matter.......
Thanks Mike:)
Bartman

Ausrock
12-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry, but not everyone is a bloody genius :rolleyes:.

Screwdriverone
12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
The other thing that people may like to do is set the default subscription setting under Quick Links > Edit Options as per the attached image.

What this does is every post you comment on, or make yourself from scratch, gets put into your subscription folder. Then if you want to monitor a thread for replies to your topic or something you have commented on, simply go to Quick Links > Subscribed Threads.

This only works when you are logged into your account. All of your subscriptions are then shown with any new posts shown by the thread title being indicated in BOLD. This is quick and easy way to find the threads you are interested in tracking for follow up later.

Most of the time, I simply use my bookmark which takes me straight to the subscribed threads folder, I review any comments made on threads I am following, then when they are done, simply click on Today's Posts under quick links, to see what is happening today.

I might add, I also have the latest posts sorted to the top of the page, so they come up first (also under edit options > thread display mode) by setting it to "Linear - Newest first". This means all the new posts are at the top of the respective page and I can see them without having to scroll to the bottom of the thread or change pages to see the latest post.

Just thought I would share the way I do things, ;)

Cheers

Chris

MrB
12-10-2012, 07:15 PM
You obviously didn't read it did you?

"It DOESN'T take a genius to figure these things out"

bobson
12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks Mike!
Job well done :thumbsup:

cheers

Ausrock
12-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Oh my, defensive aren't we.

YES, I did read it...........my point was that prior to Mike's post, I (and I suspect a lot of other members) weren't familiar with these facts. Not everyone uses the available shortcuts Mike mentioned, consequently, not everyone is aware of what those shortcuts do.

Please don't assume everone has the same abilities where navigating forums are concerned as this is exactly what your original comment conveyed..........intentional or not!