PDA

View Full Version here: : Shedding some light on how Australia will look in 2050

trek1701
12-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Noticed this today, doesn't look good for astronomy :sadeyes:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/a-galaxy-down-under-shedding-some-light-on-how-australia-will-look-in-2050/story-e6frf7jo-1226493964961

Regards Mark

Rob_K
12-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't think it's a realistic picture at all. :shrug: Unless there are unbelievable U-turns regarding public land, growth in population density can only occur on freehold land - loss of significant tracts of farming land is possible but there are controls. We'll just get megacities IMO, that's the world-wide trend. The blaze of lights shown covers vast areas of National Parks and State Forests etc, ain't gonna happen. ;) The map's just some person idly filling gaps between existing population areas with white, without understanding why those gaps are there.

Cheers -

erick
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
If I can still stand up and look through a telescope in 2050, I don't think a bit of light pollution will worry me :D

Geoff45
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Me too. I will only be 105 yrs old.

blindman
12-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Looks really good - no J.Gillard in government.

KenGee
12-10-2012, 09:05 PM
There is no way this would come to pass. The author is just trying to get people to whatch his show or buy his book. just have to look at a picute of england 60mil in 1/3 of vic to see he talking rubish. as for south australia he has got adeliade exenting 200 km north. The man is a fool.

But then again if mcmasion owners in NSW get their way and vote in Tony then it's probably going to be worse.

Ric
13-10-2012, 02:30 AM
I'll be a spritely 90 year old :D

Barrykgerdes
13-10-2012, 07:30 AM
That is a 40 year forecast of something that may or may not represent the future.

I have been reading through the editorials and science articles on looking 20+ years into the future on electronics, TV, Air travel, space etc. in Radio and hobbies from 1939 to 1965. The number of predictions that were anything like what eventually happened are very rare, even over a 10 year period let alone 40 years.

Another source of predictions of technology for the future that I have is in the Meccano magazines from 1916-1980. Great and amusing reading to see what we thought of the future 40 years hence.

The Moon and Mars would be well and truly colonised for one thing.

Barry

Zhou
14-10-2012, 09:15 PM
OK I will take the bait! Firstly I seem to remember a rule about no political or religious discussion on this forum. From the terms of service:

I guess if others can talk politics there is no harm in me doing so :thumbsup:

However, at the risk of being banned or this thread being locked I would like to mention a few things.

I am constantly seeing snide, backhanded remarks about Australia's PM, Julia Gillard on this forum. While I am not, personally, her biggest fan I would like to point out a few things.

Whilst many Australians personally do not like her (or the opposition leader to be fair), Australia's economy is the envy of the world. Australia did better than every other developed nation during the global financial crisis and has a AAA credit rating, a growing economy and fairly low unemployment. In the last few years Australia's economy has leapfrogged over the economies of Mexico, South Korea and Spain to be the twelth largest in the world. Not bad for a country of 22 million!

Yes, Ms Gillard told a few porkies but I have to remind you that her party is a part of a minority government with the Greens and conservative independents, to form government Gillard had to offer them something (It would have been the same with Abbott). That is what people voted for in the last election (we vote for local members not for the position of PM). It also doesnt take an Einstien to realise that most pollies lie, why are her "lies" so much worse than Rudd's, Howard's, Keating's or Hawke's?

Living overseas, away from Australia's insular media I have gained a perspective that many Aussies will attack the PM for no other reason than for the fact that she is Julia Gillard. Australia is "the" lucky country but you wouldn't believe it from the constant compaining and whinging coming from my homeland.

Where I live I see poverty every day, people busting their backs to earn a basic wage that will put food on their table, supporting their families and not much more. Maybe Aussie's just like to grizzle and complain much more than they used to? But seriously Australia has it very good compared to the rest of the world. Believe it!

Just for the record I am an Australian citizen and I always vote despite being overseas and the inconvenience of having to travel to the nearest consulate to do so.

Rant over :D Zhou/ Mick (previously known as Mickoking)

space oddity
14-10-2012, 09:36 PM
The projections are rubbish. For a start, large tracts of national parks in Tasmania look to be full of huge cities. Other areas of rough terrain, also in national parks seem to be full of cities. Total rubbish. This sort of garbage should simply not be published. Some people are still of the opinion that if it is in the papers, it must be true.You can fool some people.......