PDA

View Full Version here: : Orchid House Finished

Baddad
11-10-2012, 10:00 AM
:) YES! Its been a longish project. I am Quite happy with the result.

SWMBO wanted to buy a bush-house/ orchid-house. Prices around $650 for a tiny "box" like heap of shade cloth.

I managed to build it for $420 and it is three times the ground space.
3.4 x 1.8M.

The roof will with-stand a 140Kg weight without any sign of bending.
Even the shelving can hold a large person's weight.

The condition that the bush house had to satisfy is that it must be demountable and transportable by ute. The entire frame is galvanised steel, bolted together with galv bolts. All the shade cloth lashing knots are glued as well. Made to last. Heh Heh.

I am now toying with the idea of an observatory. Demountable ofcourse.

Cheers

Kunama
11-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Nice work Marty, how have you fixed it down so it won't blow away?
My dearly beloved is after something similar but here in the mountains we get wild gales that want to uproot everything. Last week we had steady winds in excess of 90kmh for hours with gusts of 140kmh.

Baddad
11-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi Matt,

Its reasonably sheltered where it stands. The wind can blow through it, being made of perforated material.

I'm looking at anchoring it somehow. There's certain issues to overcome so it will take some thought.

Cheers

Terry B
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Nice work. :)

mikerr
11-10-2012, 11:22 AM
So how long before you add the rollers to the roof????;)

Michael.

[1ponders]
11-10-2012, 02:29 PM
damn I wish i could weld. I'm just doing the same thing Marty. Much simpler design though ..... A rectangle made out of piping and pipe clamps :P :lol:

Baddad
11-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi Paul,

I am self taught. I bought myself a MIG welder years ago. I don't know why but I did. It has come very handy at times.

This last project is the second time I built a bush house. The first time was 11 years ago. We had to leave it at the former residence when we moved here. That is why This one had to be "take with us" type.

MIG welding is so much easier than normal arc. It doesn't take long to work out the correct settings. With experience you know approximately what to set the dials at.

Cheers

Ric
12-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Nice work Marty

Definitely built to last.