PDA

View Full Version here: : Careful what you wish for.

Tandum
10-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I had my tiny obs running like a top. I'd wonder out, switch it all on and normally away it went. Occasionally the pc would not boot and I'd have to pull the ram stick out, clean it and plug it back in. No big deal.

Then along comes a used motherboard with a real serial port, a cpu with double the speed and triple the ram. That's a no brainer, swap out the old mobo for the new one, great.

Since I did that, I have had no end of usb problems. No images at all in 2 months as it's so unstable.

Tonight I replaced that mobo/cpu/ram with another one and dropped back to win7 starter. Fingers crossed I get some reliability from this one. Only just received the code to enable the dome controller so time will tell.

robin.

Nico13
11-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Ahhh modern technology, don't you just love it :mad2:

Sorry Robin but yes I feel your frustration and yes it seems that every time you try a new improved something or other it just tends to add another layer of complicity with that extra layer of non compatability followed by a suitability issue that leads to the inevitibility that the functionality and reliability has gone out the window. :(

Sorry mate, couldn't help myself once I got started :P

Hope it all gets better soon.

Cheers

Karls48
11-10-2012, 11:12 PM
And that is the reason why I'm still use XP and old IBM laptops. It works. And when the laptop dies I replace it for another one from eBay for around $150, XP included. At present I got ThinkPad T43 for controlling HEQ5 setup and T61 for controlling LX90. Both laptops don't have a serial port but by using Port Replicator you gain Serial port plus extra USB ports.