PDA

View Full Version here: : New observatory plans now public - Mac Astro Soc

Omaroo
10-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Macarthur Astronomical Society are on the front page as well as pages 3 & 4 of the Macarthur Advertiser newspaper today, with a public announcement released to finally outline our plan to build an astronomical observatory complex within the old North Cliff Mine site inside the brand new Dharawal National Park south of Sydney. A very big thanks must go to Jeff McGill, the Editor, for his fantastic editorial. He recognises the potential for this project, and the way it will expose the local community to both the wonders of what we see above us as well as its potential to excite up and coming young scientists to follow this path for the future benefit of all.

Please take the following link to a three-page PDF, as it is too large to upload here on IIS:

http://www.macastro.org.au/home/images/president/MacAdv_101012.pdf

gary
10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the link Chris and good luck with the proposal.

strongmanmike
10-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Great story Chris, two mug shots to boot too! Good luck.

Do you already have funding? Reading the other front page story there, any state funding looks a no go..?

Mike

Omaroo
10-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks Gary, and Mike.

State funding, while it would be nice, is not what we are chasing. :thumbsup:

joe_smith
10-10-2012, 02:12 PM
I liked the editors note column about it as well sums it up very well as why it will be good. Hope all goes well mate.

mbaddah
10-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Awesome stuff Chris I hope this goes ahead for the club :D

kustard
10-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Very nice, well done to Mac Astro Soc!

Though your Avatar is a lot different than your piccy ;)

Cheers,
Simon

Ric
10-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Great write up Chris

Hope all goes well. :thumbsup:

Omaroo
10-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks fellas :) Yep - serious negotiations commence shortly. Our proposal is nearly complete - and very comprehensive. If it does end up being built, it will be an incredible facility, with 6.7m and 3.5m domes, high-end visual and photographic systems, accommodation overlooking the dam and plenty of piers for members to use. It isn't a short term project, but we'll keep you informed as we progress. Thanks for the support! :thumbsup:

mental4astro
10-10-2012, 04:36 PM
All the best of luck with this indeed, Mac Astro Soc! You are in good hands with Chris at the helm. Wind to your back Chris with the negotiations.

Omaroo
10-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks so much Alexander! :) We were privileged to be able to show you some of what we are when you came and presented. When the facility is up and running, I'd dearly like to be able to ask you to come show and teach members of the public your art again. :hi:

mental4astro
10-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I have not forgotten how I was received that night by yourselves. My son kept the beanie you gave me for himself :) I've now gone and lost it :doh:. And the mugs make a regular appearance at work (I work from home ;)).

Omaroo
10-10-2012, 04:58 PM
:) Lost beanie??? Hmmm.... let's see....

astronut
11-10-2012, 08:18 AM
MAS is very lucky to have people of this calibre....A big thank you to Chris, Roger, Tony & Trevor..With this sort of enthusiasm, the observatory is as good as built!

Omaroo
11-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Indeed John. There is a dedicated team behind this who share this vision. With the proper momentum we have a great chance of bringing this to fruition.

Poita
11-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Fantastic!
I just read the article in the attached PDF and the supporting columns.

Let us know if there is any way we can help!

strongmanmike
11-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Wow! :eyepop:...where do we sign up? :D

Mike

astroron
11-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Chris this link just locks up my computer:shrug:
It downloads 1.43 of 1.76mb and then just stops:shrug:
I have updated the latest Adobe reader 9.5 and it still locks up.
To get out of the page I have to close down my computer:mad2:
Cheers:thumbsup:

joe_smith
11-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Ron right click the link and select save as then open it from the saved location. If you are trying to open the PDF in your web browser that could be the problem.

astroron
11-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks Joe:thanx:,worked a treat:D

lacad01
11-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Hear..hear, great article Chris and hope all goes well with the project :thumbsup:

Omaroo
12-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the interest Peter, Ron, Joe and Adam. We'll be keeping everyone up to date with progress - assuming, at this juncture, that everything goes to plan. There are many hurdles that we yet face but we have a very capable core team that really want to make this work. :thumbsup:

bartman
12-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Awesome Chris!:thumbsup:
Can I please pre-book a Spa Suite with brekkie included for 5 days? Is there a golf course nearby? and will there be a masseuse on hand?. In case I want to arrive by yacht, will the piers handle a 100ft yacht.......otherwise will there be a helipad near the location?
:D
Bartman
Ps....can you please fax me the members sign up form..... :)

astroron
12-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Chris,Looking at the size of the domes in your article it looks like they will be completely new one and not the ones from the university:question:
That is a lot of Dollars just in those domes alone.:eyepop:
Best of luck in your endeavours.