PDA

View Full Version here: : monopod vs. tripod

Davros
04-10-2012, 06:13 PM
So i am going to Singapore at the end of the month and i have a query. I have a decent tripod which i was planning on taking to assist with photography (Canon 30D with 28-70L) targeting wildlife and landscape images. Would i be able to get away with a monopod? Are monopods even worth contemplating? Or should i just stick with what i've got.

sheeny
04-10-2012, 06:25 PM
G'Day Mick,

I have a pretty limited experience with monopods, so don't take what I say as gospel.;) I have a trekking pole with a 4/20 thread in the top under the knob so it doubles as a monopod when bushwalking.

For long exposures, existing light and shady scenes, the tripod will definitely be better. If your lens is IS you might get away with a bit more on the monopod. Both will take the weight off holding the camera in long sessions, but the monopod is quicker and easier to move about. Both should work OK for panoramas with todays software.

Al.

gb_astro
04-10-2012, 06:35 PM
There are some pretty light and compact tripods around these days.

gb.

Davros
04-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys, my tripod is fairly lightweight, its a generic ball head. I will be on my feet all day everyday in that lovely humidity and was thinking about keeping everything as lightweight as possible. I might just go with the tripod and see how it goes. I would hate to be caught out by not having the option.

Waxing_Gibbous
04-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I sed a monopod for quite a while.
It was a love/hate thing.
In good light and for non-crucial shots (happy snaps) it was worth a stop or two.
But for any shot below about 1/100, an IS lens would be a better bet with your Canon as you not only have to hold the camera still, but the monopod as well.
Just my experience, but I would avoid a very light CF tripod as I've found them prone to vibration.
I'm currently using a Velbon Sherpa R with my 40D and 70-200 2.8 with great results.
The tripod is compact, easy to set and the head is very sturdy. It's not CF but very lightweight Al. Best of all it's only about $130 (shop around).

Hope that's useful.

Kunama
04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
I would go the monopod for travel in heat and humidity. If you find that you need to steady it more just grab a stick or two, spread the bottom ends away from the monopod and hold the top of the stick or sticks firmly against the mono and hey presto! you have a tripod.

Used this trick successfully many times.

I even managed to use a monopod at St Peter's Basilica, the Louvre and a few other places where tripods are banned. Rest the monopod on the ground near a wall of something sturdy grab the camera in such a manner that your outstretched elbow can rest on a wall etc.

sheeny
04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Just a thought, prompted by Matt's improvised tripod...

I used to carry a washer (or key) with a length of string and a 4/20 eye bolt on the other end. Drop the washer on the ground and put your foot on it, screw the eye bolt into the camera and pull the string taut... not as good as a tripod, but with practice it should allow you take shots you couldn't simply hand-hold. Its very lightweight (i.e. great for bushwalking:thumbsup:).

I haven't done it since I've had an IS camera...

It might complement the tripod, but I suggest you have a play and a practice with it.;)

Al.

Nico13
04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Hi Mick,
I have used both for a number of years now but normally I wouldn't bother with the Mono Pod unless I was using over 200mm fl and looking at almost a snap shooting scenario for wild life or sports event.
You mentioned 28-70mm was your maximum and landscapes as desirable, my personal choice would be the tripod if you were expecting a lot of low light situations like sunrises and sets etc, but if you anticipate reasonable lighting conditions then the mono would achieve both outcomes quite well and be a lot less bulk and weight to carry. hope this helps.:)

Cheers

Davros
04-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys, this has given me a lot to think about.
cheers
Mick