PDA

View Full Version here: : Losmandy Gemini 2 on GM8

Ramsay11
04-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I use a Losmandy GM8 with Digital Drives and at this time, strictly for visual observation with a 120mm EON refractor. The convenience of spending more time viewing and less time locating would suggest the next step is Go-To functionality via a Gemini 2 Retrofit. It is expensive $1600+ and where I live, one could purchase a Sky-Watcher EQ6 or Orion Atlas EQ-G and have some change left over. I do enjoy the relative portability of the GM8 and have no desire in owning 2 equatorial mounts - my wife counts equipment!!!

Does anyone have any experience and willing to offer their advice on the Gemini 2 for a GM8?

alocky
04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Given that you're using a refractor, and could easily get a fov of more than 30' of arc, why not use the excellent setting circles already on your mount?
Just a thought....
Andrew.

stevous67
05-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Does the Gemini 2 work? As far as I'm aware, the Gemini 2 does not provide accurate gotos. A good friend of mine is currently working with the Gemini programers to get the accuracy. Currently, over half the sky, he can sync on one star, try to goto to another star (misses), then attempts to goto back to the original star and clean misses again. :shrug:

I am surprised more visual users are not complaining? Those with laptops/cameras can plate solve onto targets.

Ive got the Gemini 1, and it works well. :thumbsup:

Steve

gbeal
05-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Well, if the counting is an issue, and you want goto, sell the GM8 and get the EQ6 (NEQ6 in my case).
An alternative is an alt-az mount, with DSC's built in, the T-Rex or Half Hitch or DM6 perhaps, assuming you are completely visual.
Gary