PDA

View Full Version here: : Big Brother

Larryp
03-10-2012, 07:17 AM
While waiting to watch "Big Bang Theory" last night, I had to watch 10 minutes overrun of Big Brother.
I don't think I have seen such mindless drivel before-beats me how it rates!

mithrandir
03-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Are there any new episodes of BBT? We've reached the point where the episode title is all you need to remember the show.

Overrun is a ploy by the station to stop you switching channels. Who wants to start watching a program that started 10 mins ago?

You can't even use a smart PVR to just record the target program since the embedded TV guide does not match the start/stop times. With "intelligent record" I have mine set to start 5 mins before and run 30 mins after the stated times.

You (and I) are not in the BB target demographic. That's the "I can't live without FacePlant/ImATwit" generation.

Larryp
03-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Last night was a new episode of BBT, Andrew

Colin_Fraser
03-10-2012, 09:15 AM
How true :lol: :lol:

OICURMT
03-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Big Bang Theory... "The Date Night Variable" ...

Better than average episode.

Barrykgerdes
03-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I have a 300GB drive on my recorder and half the stuff on it is from setting over runs to ensure I get the whole program.

Yes I am with you. It regularly makes the top 10 but only occasionally do I see a top 10 program that I actually watched!

Barry

Peter.M
03-10-2012, 10:54 AM
I would prefer if people did not lump entire groups of people together. Calling an entire generation twits. By the same token I could say that your generation are genralistic idiots who jugde entire groups based on a fews actions, but I know not all people would be like that.

Octane
03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I held off joining, and, publicly badmouthed Facebook on here, and elsewhere, and, now:

Facebook is awesome.

As mentioned in a prior post, I take back everything bad I said about it.

It has opened up doors for me that would never otherwise have happened. I know of at /least/ two others (on here) that it has opened up the world to, as well.

So, I agree with Peter.M.

H

lacad01
03-10-2012, 11:20 AM
:rofl: ah you guys... :)

mithrandir
03-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Peter and H, I did not say Facebook and Twitter are pointless. I have logons on both. They have their place. People wanting to tell me every nano-detail of their day is crazy. I do not let them rule my life.

What demographic are the biggest Facebook/Twitter users?

Network 10s primary target is the under 40s. NINE runs "reality" stuff like BB (a) to try and claw back some of those viewers, (b) because it's cheap to make, and (c) helps fill their Australian content quota.

Waxing_Gibbous
03-10-2012, 12:50 PM
The people who create and market BB and all the other slack-jawed dross, are not stupid.
They know their demographic, what they want and that 90% will if not tune in every day to be advertised to, at least with sufficient regularity, that the "other" 10% at the end of the bell curve is mostly irrelevant.

So, alas, I'm afraid we can say that an entire generation are pretty much hopeless twits.

Mind you, when I was 18-25 you could sell me anything by sticking Bo Derek on it! :D

Peter.M
03-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I must be the exception to the rule. I am 25 have no facebook or twitter and don't watch any reality tv. Infact the only tv I enjoy is the well put together shows from the states like breaking bad and game of thrones. I prefer to talk to my friends in person.

MrB
03-10-2012, 01:55 PM
That's great if you can see them in person.
Many of my friends on FB have moved to another state or country. While I have occasionally phoned them, it can sometimes be intrusive and expensive.
FB Messages can be read and answered at their leisure, and are almost costless.
FB has it's place.

How did this thread get so derailed? :lol:

Zhou
03-10-2012, 04:07 PM
IS Big Brother still on Aussie TV? Strewth! What is happening to our country?

:shrug:

Zhou
03-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Here here, I am middle aged but enjoy most of what youth culture has to offer. BB just doesnt appeal to the younger generations either; most young people I know (20-30 year olds) hardly even watch the idiot box.

jjjnettie
03-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Noooo, not the FB thing again.

I came in wanting to talk about the Big Bang Theory.

The latest episode was a cracker wasn't it. :)
Raj's latest date....I wonder if they will continue to follow that particular story line on. ??? ahhhh the awkwardness of it all. LOL

MrB
03-10-2012, 04:37 PM
No not 'still', It disappeared for 5 years or something, but unfortunately it is back. :rolleyes:

lacad01
03-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Here's a show to rival BB for "entertainment" value:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/tv-radio/my-bedazzled-life-the-real-brynne-edelsten/story-e6frf9ho-1226487218725
:lol: :poke:

Larryp
03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Great show, isn't it JJJ?-Loved Howard talking to his mother from space

jjjnettie
03-10-2012, 04:48 PM
erk....

jjjnettie
03-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Spoiler Alert

http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Season_6

Waxing_Gibbous
03-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Can someone tell me when Big Bang is supposed to be on?
Maybe its the Southern Cross network in S. Gippy,, but everytime I tune in for a new episode, it turns out to be a repeat - grrrr!
I don't think I've seen a new one in 8 months, but I don't know as I haven't seen many of the last two seasons (see above) anyway!

troypiggo
03-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I watched 10 mins of the following shows and at first thought they were mindless drivel:

Big Bang Theory
Dr Who
Star Trek

I now know better.

Larryp
03-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Troy, I have unfortunately had to watch a few overruns of Big Brother, and I still think its mindless drivel.

mithrandir
03-10-2012, 08:37 PM
As far as I can work out, new episodes are screened when the program department can't find an episode unshown in the last 12 months. It must also be in a ratings period.

Larryp
03-10-2012, 08:44 PM
The new series started on tuesday night (in Sydney)

thunderchildobs
03-10-2012, 09:30 PM
"In Space you can hear Howard's mum scream"

Zhou
03-10-2012, 09:43 PM
I hate to sound like a stick in the mud but most stuff on TV is mindless drivel. Much better to be outside with one's scope or practicing playing guitar or studying something new and exciting or a thousand other things.

Sorry to be harsh on the TV thing but ever since I was a wee lad I have despised the cathode ray nipple*.

* Yes I am aware most TVs nowadays are flat screen plasma and LCD types but the old school convention still stands.

Larryp
03-10-2012, 09:47 PM
To each his own, Mick. There are some tv shows I enjoy, but I must admit they are getting harder to find-too much reality stuff now because its cheaper to produce than a good drama or comedy.
Cheers

Barrykgerdes
04-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Like the intelligent minority I don't need to watch reality shows like BB. Free to air TV needs to make money so they need to cater for the largest audience possible. Advertisers don't pay for shows that bomb.

Over the years there have been some great drama and comedy series made for TV and I have a very large collection of the shows I liked to watch.

If there is nothing that appeals to me on TV I can get out an old program and watch it. There are two things about these old programs on DVD that are suitable for oldies like me, No commercials and if it is more than 12 months old I have probably forgotten the main story line.

Barry

ZeroID
04-10-2012, 10:26 AM
'Reality Shows' (anything but !! Cooking Shows (product endorsement ) Idol talent (Idyll waste of time).
Not much else left after that. :shrug:

I'm with Barry above. Keep an eye on Amazon for good movies\shows\Music on BluRay. Watch them infrequently and do other things ( astronomical and workshop mostly ) the rest of the time. I think we watch news and about 4-5 shows a week and any Motorsports coverage.

Just volunteered to go Race marshalling at weekends so even that might be curtailed somewhat. Who needs TV when you can hide behind the Armco :eek:and wave a flag at it !! :driving:

jjjnettie
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Not having any TV reception, the only shows I watch are those I download. And the only TV show I download regularly is Big Bang Theory. :)
I have a fine collection of DVD's and Videos (remember them?) I do like and can watch when ever I like. :)
Mostly though, I like to spend my evenings outside under the stars. :)

Larryp
04-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Unfortunately, where I live I am lucky to see mag 4.5-on a moonless night I can just see M8 with averted vision in my 102mm refractor.