PDA

View Full Version here: : No Almonds Again!

Larryp
02-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I have two almond trees and every year when the nuts are almost ripe, cockatoos come and strip the trees.
This year, these little beggars have beaten the cockies to it-they must like the nuts when they are less mature.

FlashDrive
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Colourful character... posing his best side to .. !!

Flash ..!! :D

MrB
02-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I have the same problem, never had one almond off my tree in a decade.
I might look into some netting. Should have done it long ago.

Baddad
02-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi Simon & Laurie,

I might look into some netting.

Netting works but any small entry and they will be in. Even on the ground they will walk in. It needs to be done up like Fort Knox. Also you need to lift the netting off the tree with poles. They will push themselves to the almonds and chew the almonds with their beaks pushed through the netting holes.

With Cockatoos I found by scaring them off as soon as they landed, they soon gave it away. Only took 3 or 4 mornings up at dawn scaring them off.

There is another way but its not legal.

Cheers

PCH
02-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Have you considered buying a bag of almonds from the supermarket when you fancy some? ;)

MrB
02-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Hmmm, what about a scarecrow?
Not a Worzel Gummidge type, I mean a pretend crow to scare off the other birds?

Paul, seriously not the same, fresh off the tree or stale supermarket 'produce of India' (or Pakistan or wherever) almonds? Hmmmmm, tough decision.

Larryp
02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Marty, I tried netting my fig trees a few years ago, and as you say, the birds go in underneath-I even pegged the nets to the ground and they would still get in
The local cockatoos are so used to humans, they just come straight back if I chase them away.

Paul Haese
02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
My brother in law runs the family armond orchards. On some Sundays the peaceful sounds of shot gun shells can be heard ringing about over the constant screech of birds foraging. Last year Tim kill 500 corellas which he has a license to undertake. Some of them sat eating away whilst being run over by a tractor. We have seen plagues of them, so we understand your pain.

Larryp
02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I've tried nearly everything, Simon! A friend bought an electronic gadget that emits a high pitched sound beyond human hearing to scare off possums, and he thinks its working on birds as well-maybe I'll try one of those.

ZeroID
02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I have to net the grapes over the deck even when they are green. Top and bottom. Bloody cat is useless !! :rofl:
One year I got about 200kg off the vine, next year they beat me to it. :shrug:

Larryp
02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Hi Paul
I live in the south-western suburbs of Sydney, and when I was growing up, we never saw a cockatoo or any other type of parrot. But with the extended drought of a few years ago, many of these birds migrated to Sydney suburbs and they've stayed-easy meals, I guess

Larryp
02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I sympathise with you Brett

Hans Tucker
02-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Ever thought of taking up Falconry Laurie :D

Larryp
02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Good idea, Hans!

Baddad
02-10-2012, 07:48 PM
The SECRET:

Birds have a vocabulary. Yes, There are around 20 or more "words".
If you can find a way to imitate, copy or download the "word" for predator present, flee for your lives. It works well. They do not come back until the next day. That's when you play it again. 3 or 4 days and no more will they frequent the tree. Until next season.

To obtain the "word" Its a screeching sound that the birds make. Particularly when a bird is trapped, caught or hurt. Record the sound and play it to them. Its easy enough to record the word. Its a different matter to get a bird to make the sound.

This is not a well known strategy. It is very effective.
Its not necessary to kill so many birds as what many farmers do. Many people who award licenses to farmers are not aware of alternate methods.

It is easy for me to prove it works. I do this sometimes with Seagulls. They are at times so bold and sit on the table. Catch one, it screeches, the rest flee. Let it go and the gulls do not return for the rest of the day.

The shotgun type bird scarer; is not bad but I know how it can be much more effective. Without harming birds ofcourse.

I have had birds inadvertantly become trapped in netting. Had a recorder handy and recorded the screeching while I handled the trapped bird to release it. Next day as they came to feed. Recorded word played and they took off explosively.

Its not legal to intentionally trap protected birds. However you may use netting to protect your crop. If a bird becomes trapped inside you must make an effort to release it. Have welding gloves on. And a recorder handy.

Cheers

Larryp
02-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the advice Marty-now I just need to catch one of them!

mental4astro
03-10-2012, 04:38 PM
These aerial hot rods are something to behold. First I became aware of there being resident falcon I was in the backyard, when I noticed ALL the birdlife had gone stone silent! I happened to look up when I noticed the falcon soaring above me. Bloody amazing the deathly silence. I now know when one is about when the silence falls.

There's a family of kestrals that hunt in the park across the road from me. They don't register anywhere the same 'concern' from the other birdlife. None really. But the falcons, man oh man...

Laurie, you could try hosing the birds too along with some yelling and carry-on. A few repeated doses may be needed.

Tried one of those owl dummies? I've seen them employed on moored boats and now even Maccas in Sydney is using them to keep the local flying rats out of their place, :lol: .

Larryp
03-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the hints, Alex. Unfortunately I never see any falcons oround my place

Baddad
03-10-2012, 05:35 PM
The Falcons are very effective, but its getting a pair to settle in is the problem. The squeal that Falcons emit works as well. Again not easy to acquire.

My experience (of 17 years) has me concluding that fake snakes, owls or hawks only work for a few days. Where upon the flying rats will use fake predators as perches.

The "bird scare call" which the birds interpret as; predator approaching or predator has got me. Is the most effective method and long lasting.

If you can find a dead one. Hang it in the tree. It works for many bird species. I don't know which ones it doesn't. Its effective on Crows. Even a collection of Crow feathers hanging in a tree works on them.

Don't waste your time on fakes. I spent a lot of time learning how to get rid of pest birds. Both native and exotic. The objective was to not harm the natives.

Once you get the recording of the flee call its all you need. Play it and the result is explosive. Often a different species will suffice. It does not need to be the same.

You can trap birds like Starlings, pigeons are useless. Not many other birds have the calls you want, apart from the natives.

I have rescued several fledglings from drowning in the pool. Birds of all species attack me in response to the stress call from the young bird that believes its about to be dinner. Young Noisy Minor screeching in my soft grip, a Magpie Lark (Pee Wee) hits me on the head with its feet. Dozens of birds of several species joined in the meelee.

They try but their efforts are laughable.

So that is how effective it can be, using the bird calls. On an alternate note; I have never tried but I wonder if there is anything downloadable on the net.

Cheers

Larryp
03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks again, Marty

mental4astro
03-10-2012, 05:49 PM
There's a breeding pair in Vaucluse, and at least one, if not also a pair where I live in Maroubra. There's also another in Sydney's CBD that patrols over Hyde Park - I've seen it perched on one corner on top of the Supreme Court Bulding late one arvo, the perfect perch to view the whole park!

There are also a lot more owls about the place too, but these are much harder to spot at night as they patrol parks for mice & rats. One boobok owl scared the crap out of me one night while walking home when I lived in Paddington. The bugger swooped into a tree that was directly opposite a little park - must have been its look out post. It was the flutter of its wings when it alighted onto a branch right beside my head - I didn't hear the owl approach and it just appeared! I aged two years instantly! Part of the reason I suggest the owl dummies.

But I think Marty has the better solution for your longer term problem.

Waxing_Gibbous
03-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Like you I have yet to see an almond thanks to the Cockies.
Or a plum, nectarine or peach for that matter.
I found the "Flee for your lives" worked really well.
For about a week.
Then they got used to it. Or went deaf.

I could be imagining it, but the birds around here seem to have developed co-operative behaviour when it comes to predators (the cat doesn't count-she's scared of birds).
One lot, usually the blackbirds and crows, will fly high cover against the wedgetails and hawks, while the parots and cockatoos feed on the ground.
Then, later, the situation is reversed!
Out of the loop are the kookaburras which seem pretty tough and able to look after themselves.

The only really fool-proof method I've found is to net the tree(s). It's not an attractive solution, but it definately works.
Good luck!

Larryp
03-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks Alex. I have seen owls where I live, but not the other birds. You and Marty have given me some good ideas to try, so I will give them a try. The cockatoos arrived today, and they are really hard to scare-I can walk right up to them and they just look at me-too used to humans, I think

Larryp
03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks Peter

Baddad
03-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Hi Laurie,

Netting will save a large portion of the crop. What happened to me some years ago:
Netting was placed over young mangoe trees. There were folds and double layers of netting. A crow and a Rainbow Lorrikeet found entry.
The dogs went in after them. I ran down to see what the commotion was.

The birds were already dead. I used the bodies to warn off the flocks. They did not come back.

Crows still after 5 years do not venture onto the ground anymore on our two acres here.
The Lorries are a little braver or stupid. I have to net the Lichees and custard apples from them. I have other means for the Pecan nuts that are under attack by cockatoos.

Mangoe trees are just too big to net and the Lorries seem to leave them alone anyway. I can not explain that. Yet they attack the other fruits.

By netting you may inadvertantly trap a bird. Which you need to release. Record its cries.

Cheers

Larryp
04-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks for your advice, Marty.

ourkind
04-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Lol Marty that reminds me of a great documentary I watched many years ago "Animals are Beautiful People" and they feature a bird that has a warning call which remarkably sounds like its saying "go away".

If you guys/gals haven't seen this dock and love animals I recommend watching it!

Nice photo Laurie! What a poser :)