PDA

View Full Version here: : Doof Doof

AdrianF
01-10-2012, 08:22 PM
The "Doof Doof" brigade as moved in next door and have been playing music with a heavy beat since about 9 this morning. Police are not interested as they have to travel 70k to get here the neighbors won't answer the door so I can ask them to tone it down and when I do get to the door the smell of some kind of "smoke" is very strong. Got to be up at 5am for work and don't look like I'll get much tonight. Praying for blackout ;)

Adrian

astroron
01-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear that Adrian:sadeyes:
Hey! long time no hear by the way.:question:
Cheers:thumbsup:

AdrianF
01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Looks like they may have calmed down for awhile (I hope)
Havent had much time for anything except work for the last 8-9 months and almost every weekend is travel down to our block at Yarraman to put up fences and mow you don't realize how far 85 meters is until you put up a fence and that was only the front fence. Hopefully things will start to settle down in a few weeks for a while until we start building.

Adrian

Chif
01-10-2012, 09:42 PM
What a pain! There's no need to have music that loud inside a house. I went camping a couple of weeks ago (just out to chookarloo, nothing fancy), and some people came and set up camp right next to us and were playing doof doof all night. Not what I'm keen on listening to while trying to enjoy the great outdoors. Gonna have to go further out next time i think ;)

Waxing_Gibbous
01-10-2012, 11:35 PM
A serious PITA.
The "doof doof" of a shotgun tends to quiet things down.

BPO
02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
I feel your pain. Here be snow bunny territory, so we usually have to listen to "oonce oonce", rather than "doof doof". But it's good when I'm up the mountain at my observatory, though. Music is banned there...

GrahamL
02-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Our old neibour was christened "doof man" not long after he moved in , in time I got to know him and he turrned out a nice guy despite his love for trashy euro doof .

Euro doof = Imagine somone really drunk who can't hold a note grabbing the mic at kareoke night and letting fly for hours ,,,god I don't miss living next door to him :)

AstralTraveller
02-10-2012, 08:28 AM
I assume you love listening to Pavarotti at 5am while getting ready for work?? With the windows open. :D

A friend had a neighbour do something similar. He finally got the shirts. He owned a PA hire company. :lol: Message received loud and clear (or in this case loud and very distorted).

AstroFlyer
02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Actually bag pipes are much better, especially if you can't play...:D:D
On the more serious note I feel for you Adrian - we have morons like that living next door to us.
Tried talking to them, rang police numerous times - no effect.
Called local council - they only come out between 8am & 5pm & weekdays only!:screwy:
Only option left is to spend heaps of money & go to court - not an option for us.:(
There was a relief for few weeks - found out one of the other neighbours ( I believe) slashed 3 tires on their 2 cars after one particularly bad night.
Now it's back to old ways - drinking & parties twice a week.
2 other neighbours are starting to get really pissed off - I'm afraid things might escalate...

Colin_Fraser
02-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Councils usually have Amenity Local Laws.
An extract from ours is
"The principal objectives of this Local Law are:
(a) to provide a safe and healthy environment in which the residents of the municipal district enjoy a quality of life that meets the general expectations of the community; and"
I suggest you enquire about that and if you have something similar, acquire the emergency after hours phone number of the officer responsible (usually the ranger). Give them a call in the early hours of the morning and let them know you cannot sleep because of the breach of local laws.
Then visit or give council a call when they open and lodge a complaint.
They do not like their peace disturbed either, so its a good bet they will act on your complaint - eventually.

Satchmo
02-10-2012, 01:19 PM
They have a right to play their music at 9am . Its as simple as that. If you don't want to share your surrounds with other people you probably need to move to the desert. :shrug:

BPO
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Yes, it's like bright, unshielded lights. Not a problem, and if you don't like it, move to the desert. Right?

Satchmo
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
You have no moral right to quiet or a dark sky . its as simple as that .....

Yep , move to the desert .

AstralTraveller
02-10-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm sure you have a moral right, at least according to my morals. It's the legal right I think we're debating.

TrevorW
02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Sure can but there are noise abatement rules that apply as well :P

also IMHO there is no justifiable reason beyond being nearly deaf, to have music so loud that the noise will annoy your neighbors :thumbsup:

Octane
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Doof doof's alright with me. :P

But, yeah, that would be terribly annoying.

Do you know if they're renting or own the place? An official complaint with the real estate agent?

I put one in when the moron downstairs wouldn't stop yelling, screaming, and slamming doors the whole night.

He shut up after the complaint and was turfed out soon thereafter.

H

Satchmo
02-10-2012, 06:07 PM
The conservatism of IIS members never ceases to amaze me.

AstroFlyer
02-10-2012, 06:23 PM
You are correct - they have a right to play their music at 9am.
Providing it is at the acceptable level & it does not disturb other people.
Not sure about other states, but here in NSW you can report noise pollution/disturbance at ANY time, not just at night:

" In resolving disputes over noise pollution one has to realise that what is music to one person might be offensive noise to another. In responding to noise complaints, an authorised officer will take the approach of what a 'reasonable person' would consider offensive."

So playing your music is fine, playing your music at unreasonable levels is not.

Satchmo
02-10-2012, 06:37 PM
So in other words the whole debate is over some blurry line of the law. If you don't like the music your interpretation of what level is reasonable is likely to be a lower level than if you do . I do enjoy seeing people squirm over their interpretation of the `law'.

Paul Haese
02-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Actually that is not quite true, each person has a right to the quiet enjoyment of their property under common law which has also been enshrined into the property Acts in each State. You should contact the EPA as they deal with noise now too.

That aside I did have a giggle at this thread and the wowsers about. I bet most people go through a period of loving their music loud. It's part of being young. Some of my neighbours would have loved to see the back end of me and my house mates over the years. :lol: Now nearly 50 and listen when someone is having a party at 3 am and remember when, then reach for the phone to ring the cops.;)

ZeroID
02-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Hate to tell you Satchmo but disturbing others peace is also agin the Noise Nuisance Laws over here. Any time of the day or night. Each person has the right to enjpy their own situation BUT they are not allowed to infringe upon anothers right to do exactly the same. ie don't annoy the neighbours !
I don't mind a bit of music heard from afar even at night as long as it is not every night. My audio system is quite capable of shattering windows in the lounge ( Denon Amp, Polk Studio Speakers, 12" sub) but I still don't annoy the neighbours with it unnecessarily. A bit of respect all round makes for much more harmonious living for all.

Satchmo
02-10-2012, 07:14 PM
The whole concept is hilarious, theres no doubt.

AstralTraveller
02-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Without the concept of a 'reasonable person' I suspect much of our legal system would fall apart. I can see problems with that concept but can anyone suggest an alternative?

In this case, neighbours making noise is not necessarily a problem, it's the frequency (in the temporal sense) and the duration. My neighbours have parties and I'm known to give it a nudge for an hour or two on Friday night. What I wouldn't find acceptable is 12 hours, especially if this is to be standard behavior.

Colin_Fraser
02-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Not really.
The debate is about a persons rights to enjoyment of life without adverse effects from nuisance of noise as set out quite clearly (not blurry) in law versus those who oppose his rights.
Really comes down to having respect for other people. Most people do. Some don't.

AG Hybrid
02-10-2012, 07:44 PM
First world problem right here.

You could always play loud music back. Direct some speaks at their house and play something contrasting. Like Dolly Parton loudly. Couldn't think of anything more contrasting to the doof.
If you consider yourself the cerebral sort. You can set them up for the offside trap by making them to play their music even loader in an attempt to drown out your music and get the whole street complaining about them. Should garner some more attention from the local PD.

Still a first world problem though.

clive milne
02-10-2012, 08:06 PM
I live next door to people who regularly engage in live (punk) band practice with drum kit, guitars, amps etcetera set up on their back patio. I find their taste in music about as contrary to mine as it gets, invariably it is also loud as blazes.

I do not find it nearly as intrusive as intolerant people I have lived next to (previously) who believe it is their inalienable right to dictate their own measure of 'reasonable' on everyone around them.

Noise is much easier to tune out than a pious a**hole.

Actually... a case in point.
I lived on acreage in Margaret River a few years ago... the neighbour was constantly complaining to the police about noise trespass.
Even had the police come out to issue us a warning when we were on holidays, 300km away. We lived on the border of forrest so maybe the
possums broke in and arked up the stereo...

Now that to me is intrusive.

Mick
02-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Dolly can .... http://youtu.be/Ng0frPPsKxs

AstroFlyer
02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I personally do not think the type of music have anything to do with the noise issue, it's the level at which it is played.
The debate is do you have the right to play anything you want at the level you want at any time you want.
I'm guessing Adrian just want's to get a decent amount of sleep before going to work.
Surely that is his right?

clive milne
02-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Whilst this may be a tangent to the OP, I can tell you categorically that this is absolutely not true.

Distortion is actually the single largest cue for our perception of loudness. (3rd order harmonic being the worst offender). The style of music also has a large bearing on our threshold of irritation. If you don't like it (style) the level goes down dramatically.

BPO
03-10-2012, 05:30 AM
But which of them is the most antisocial?

Something a lot of us at the forum are beginning to learn.

Ah. Now we understand.

I had a friend who was always moaning about his neighbours because they often asked him not to sing late at night. He believed they were philistines, unable to appreciate his greatness. What he failed to understand - didn't want to understand - was that he is quite possibly the worst singer in history. He believed himself to be an amazingly good singer, and that he was doing everyone else a favour by singing. Just like some adolescent git who believes that everyone wants to lie awake all night and listen to the really cool music he loves.

AndrewJ
03-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Just an interesting take on loudness, repetition and choice of music
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/19/usa.guantanamo

There do have to be some limits.

And if you dont like neighbours noise, try dealing with dogs.
No one wants to address that, esp if the owner is happy to spend 10s of thousands in court defending their little darlings.

Andrew

Barrykgerdes
03-10-2012, 06:57 AM
I am lucky to live in a quiet friendly neighbourhood. Noise does not bother me as I am profoundly deaf and can turn my hearing aids off.

However my neighbour across the road approached all of us last year and said he was going to have a reunion with his old band and they would be practicing for a couple of days and that he would try to keep any excesive noise down.

What actually happened was that he played "our" kind of music and we all went over to his place to sit and listen. (and he provide supper)

Barry

Satchmo
03-10-2012, 07:44 AM
The blurry lines are the perception of legal levels which some people find bothersome and others don't. I think there is far more suburban distress caused by people who feel they should not have to hear their neighbors at all than those that have a give and take attitude. If you live in the suburbs then expect some noise.

My neighbors and their teenage kids sometimes have fairly loud parties that can go to 3am ( one on a wednesday night last week). I have never contemplated calling the police- good on them for living life to the full. At the same time I don't hesitate to hold back on the volume levels of my own music when I feel like it , but usually not after 10 30 on a weeknight or 12am on a weekend, but as I am tolerant of my neighbors they are tolerant of me and I do not live in fear of the neighbors, if I lose myself in the music :)

Octane
03-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I do like the give/take attitude, Mark. I guess it means harmony for all.

See what I did there?

H

astroron
03-10-2012, 01:33 PM
This maybe of interest to people in this thread:question::question::question :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19783855
There are going to be some very unhappy people in Britain over this :sadeyes:
And some very happy pub and club goers:D
Cheers:thumbsup:

BPO
03-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Yes. Cars driving by. Lawnmowers on Saturday afternoon. Little kids playing.

Adolescent morons partying at a trillion decibels all night, every night? No.

Do you have children? Or are you one of those middle-aged, never married, never-grew-up types?

I have two very small children, and young neighbours who can't see why I get cranky when they turn their stereo volume all the way up to 11 every night and all night, preventing my kids from sleeping (properly) as a result.

It's not because they are good young fellahs, living life to the fullest, intolerant old stick-in-the mud carmudgeon neighbours be damned. It's because they are selfish little losers with the IQ of parsley.

And facebook is still for gumbies.

Zhou
03-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Good for you mark; perhaps people are too easy to upset nowadays?

I love playing my stereo and my guitar and I am tolerant of others living around me doing the same on occasions.

Octane
03-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Does that mean you're on there? :poke:

H

Satchmo
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank goodness for the Tasman Sea :)

AstralTraveller
03-10-2012, 04:50 PM
In many ways that sounds fair enough. If the place is in a commercial area and the venue was there before the residents then I can't see how they can complain. In town here a block of units was built opposite a night club. While they were being sold the club put up a sign pointing out that 'this is a nightclub and we make lots of noise all night'. If you chose to buy a unit there then you should be willing to put up with the noise.

The use of the criteria 'unamplified' is problematic. Clearly they mean 'relatively quiet' but under the rules a singer-guitarist with a 20W amp needs a permit but a big band with 20 brass instruments and a drum kit has free reign. And what about the bluegrass blokes I play with. If had an upright bass we would be unamplified but because I play an acoustic bass guitar I'm a bit quiet compared to the front line and so use my 30W practice amp just to balance things a bit. I think the criteria is a can of worms.

TrevorW
03-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Simple solution buy the

nice considerate person a good set of cool wireless headphones

then they can have the music as loud for as long as they like

AdrianF
03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
As a "reasonable person" I do not object to music during the day but at 9 o'clock at night I do especially when i have to go to work at 6am. Any "reasonable person" would respect the rights of others. We also live across the road from a retirement village and most are in bed by 8 usually except the night in question.
Anyway all as been quiet since the police visited.

Adrian

Satchmo
03-10-2012, 06:31 PM
If you lived in NSW you would at this time have been not been within your rights rights to call the police ,which allow your neighbors to use amplified equipment that can be heard from within your residence until 10pm weeknights .

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/legislation/DECCRegulationsummaries.htm#poeonc

clive milne
03-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Registering noise complaints against someone who isn't even home is beyond antisocial, it is vexatious.
(as are a number of suggestions of retaliation posted in this thread)

I did shift work for 10 years, you quickly learn to deal with noise during your sleep time.
Often I would just turn a small fan on low... the white noise is very effective at covering transients from outside.
That should give some clue as to how loud noise trespass often is, (or isn't).

Colin_Fraser
03-10-2012, 07:37 PM
That's clever. Is that link what you termed "a blurry line of the law"? :screwy:

Satchmo
03-10-2012, 11:08 PM
If you go back and read my posts you'll find out what I was referring to by blurry line of the law . Don't give up your day job.... :screwy:

TrevorW
04-10-2012, 04:24 AM
The gulf between the heart and the mind is usually wider in intellectuals than in simple, uneducated people

sheeny
04-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Are we resolving anything here guys?

As a moderator, let me say the thread is starting to look ragged.

Please remember to play the ball not the player.

Al.

ZeroID
04-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Nice one !!! :thumbsup: