PDA

View Full Version here: : 4 GB"s gone in three days

leon
30-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi Guys some help would be much appreciated.

We bought ourselves a IPad 3 on Friday, and have been fiddling with it for the best part of the weekend.

Tried to sync stuff from computer, and I phone etc, some worked some did not, but that is OK, as we need to learn how to do this eventually.

Alice loaded a few App's and moved some photos onto this new machine, and again some things went fine others didn't.

When I turned on my own lappy and wanted to use the internet it went that slow, a snail could go faster.

We rang telstra and they said it was slowed because we had used our limit of 4GB in three days :eyepop:

Well that really astounded us, as we have never exceed our limit ever in the monthly account.

The question is this please, do these i pads use so much allowable download in such a short time, or has someone else picked up on our wifi, I have now changed the password.

How dose it use the allowable download available, if i move a 3MG photo, is that a 3MB allowable data gone. :shrug:

Any tips on the best way to handle one of these units.

Thanks in advance.

Leon :thumbsup:

LewisM
30-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Sorry to say this, but I learned a long tme ago that Apples and Oranges are NOT the same fruit - LITERALLY (with Windows being Oranges in my analogy). Apple is made for, well, Apple. Personal opinion, but I won't touch Apple product - just too "exclusive" for their own good.

So, when we bough a tablet for our child, we bought a Toshiba with Android system. It's got USB, HDMI etc etc. I plug it into the laptop or the desktop, and it syncs and downloads everything without a problem. All the issues supposedly with Android proxies are GONE - I never even had a problem as there was a SIMPLE way to get around it (that I had to show the tech guys at our local Uni so they could themselves put a user guide for Android users up :) )

Anyway, sorry, but I have NO good advice, except if you have Apple, stay with Apple stuff, as a LOT of it just won't talk to other systems at all, and even within their own OS I have heard of issues. The lack of USB (unless that has changed) is a REAL hindrance for Apple, and I ave heard the workaround cable is LESS than adequate.

Octane
30-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Leon,

The only way that your iPad would have used your wireless data is if you dowloaded an operating system update, or a large bunch of applications. iOS 6 came out last week and is 600 MB in size. These updates occur once a year to 18 months.

I would suspect that your router was unsecured and someone's been using it.

When you transfer files from your computer to your iPad, they do not use your wireless data. You typically sync files when you're connected to your computer via a USB cable -- has nothing to do with your Internet connection.

H

Omaroo
30-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Lewis, LOL... you have no idea what you're talking about. Unreal.

Leon - sorry, but you're brand new to mobile computing. :) I mean that in a nice way of course, but maybe you could benefit from some basics first - especially when it comes to syncing. This is true of all mobile devices and operating systems, not just your iPad. I normally don't offer this sort of thing, but if you want to call me I'll PM you my number and I'll see if I can help you where I can. Alternatively, do as Silv suggests - call Apple. Their phone serve is very good. Compared to a call to Microsoft or Telstra, it'd be a welcome experience.

silv
30-09-2012, 06:11 PM
from what you have explained I can not really fathom where the internet usage of your home broadband comes from...

some ideas:
your iPad might have been shipped with IOS 5.
Possibly you have involuntarily downloaded updates to that version (and possibly so from your several PC's, too, while the iPad was connected to them) and maybe the upgrade to IOS 6, as well.

iCloud: is that enabled in your IOS/Mac devices?

I'd call the Apple hotline for an explanation. Let them think about it, might not be an easy question for a call center advisor.
But you will want to prevent this from happening, again, so ....

Sorry that your beautiful little gadget ate up your allowance.

silv
30-09-2012, 06:17 PM
:thumbsup:

leon
30-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Many Thanks guys,

Although this wasn't Telstra's fault, they were surprised as we were that all allowable download allowance for the month was gone in three days.
We have now changed our password with something stronger.

H, you maybe right, we did twice restore the thing as we really didn't know what we were doing and it also updated the software twice through this process, it took ages as well.

We did this purposely as we had entered some setting we did not want and thought restoring it to factory setting would let us start fresh, so to speak.

Probably not a good choice, but we thought this would help :shrug:

So at this point it is working fine, Telstra gave us back all the usage for the month for free, :eyepop: and we have found it is not a difficult to use as first thought, it is however a shame that the place where we bought it were not a bit more helpful.

They said just plug it in and all will happen by itself, that is OK for a young bloke, but at my age a bit of help would be good, rather than take my money and send me on my way.

But i knew i could count on you guys, thank you. ;)

Leon :thumbsup:

LewisM
30-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Probably right :thumbsup:

I have had really poor experiences trying to file share with Apple appliances - have a friend who is a commercial artist (mainly computer generated), so naturally he uses Mac / Apple. I asked him to go over some of myastro photo files but there was simply NO WAY that his iPad and my android tablet would talk to each other, and in the end I had to email them to him. We tried, and just couldn't make it work.:question:

I guess my Apple dislike is showing :rofl: I'll never understand the ones who will line up for days for a new Apple release.:screwy:

Octane
30-09-2012, 07:43 PM
And the ones who line up for days for an Apple release, do not understand your unenthusiasm.

H

LewisM
30-09-2012, 08:05 PM
:thumbsup:That is true

Nico13
30-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi Leon,

You've got a good machine and yes there is a steep learning curve.

Couple of ideas I recommend, one already mentioned is turn off the icloud if it is on as this copies everything from your iPad to the internet and has the capacity to download it all again on a restore from the icloud and that includes any pictures so if you accidentally restore from the cloud then it'll use heaps of download.

I recommend you do your backup to your lappy with itunes and you can restore from there without using any of your download so you can add and remove pictures without worry.

I personally haven't tried syncing with my iPhone, haven't found the need.
Downloading updates for the operating system eg iOS 5 to iOS 6 is big and will use a fair amount of your limit but they are generally worth doing.
Updates for apps can be as little as three or four Meg to things like Starwalk or Solarwalk are large at around up to 150 Meg so they vary a lot and iTunes will tell you how big they are before you start to download from the net so once you,re setup they aren't too bad but having said all that you may well have to consider paying for more down load allowance, I guess it'll all depend on your surfing habits.

Hope this helps :D

Cheers.

The_bluester
30-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Not sure if it works ou the same way if the iPad wirelessly downloads the ios6 update as per the pervious updates where you had to download and install it via iTunes on a PC or Mac, but on the iTunes version they had a major problem at one point for a previous update and it would fail on install (A problem with the server that validated the download when you installed it if I recall correctly), so the next time it would re download the entire update, before failing again, and re downloading it and failing and re downloading and failing and so on and so on.. Each and every time using up half a gig or so. Over a couple of weeks we went through over 10 gig of download allowance getting the handful of iOS devices we have updated.

I am not a fanboi for either PC or MAC or IOS (to be honest I have not played with android gear much) but I would be a lot happier with iOS if auto correct was not so damn stupid and produced fewer DYAC moments and if apple would simply accept that HTML5 has not taken over the world yet and that the refusal to support flash makes their mobile devices much more frustrating than they need to be.

Octane
30-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Adobe itself has stopped supporting Flash on mobile devices, thereby vindicating Steve Jobs' decision to not support Flash on iOS.

H

dannat
30-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Leon if you do a restore do it from your computer you have synced it with

How have you been transferring data to the iPad? I use air sharing over my wireless network which doesn't use data: it allows you to upload or download files etc from the iPad to computer

4gb still seems a lot from 2 system restores, which would be roughly 1.5Gb- as Chris suggested someone else might be pinching your data

The_bluester
01-10-2012, 07:56 AM
IMO, not while there is so much of it out there. If I was to buy another tablet today it would very likely not be another iPad and lack of flash support is one of the main reasons. There is too much of it out there to refuse to support it and expect not to get up the noses of non committed apple buyers like me. It irritates me a little more every time I see a "Install flash player to see this content" message, and you certainly see plenty of them.

Fine for Apple not to support it themselves, but they should at least let developers support it as best they can rather than resolutely preventing that from happening. If and when HTML5 actually takes over then the need for flash support will die off with flash, but in the meantime IOS users have devices that obviously can support it (Youtube being flash based after all, unless they have changed that recently) castrated because "Steve Jobs said no"

Steve Jobs did not know my browsing preferences and I don't appreciate being dictated to by him on what they will be, posthumously or not, as to what content I should be able to view on a device I have paid plenty of money for which is essentially a device for consuming content with.

Octane
01-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Why would Apple support or endorse a product, either directly or through developers, that is officially dead as far as its authors are concerned?

YouTube is sent as QuickTime, as far as I recall, on iOS.

I do understand what you're saying, though.

H

The_bluester
01-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Well there is the rub. Fine for Apple not to support it, but while a decent portion of the web still uses it, denying any developer who wants to do so the ability to develop support for it. And if it is only flash for "Mobile" devices that is dead that is even more silly, it does not do a great deal to kill off flash even if that is what Apple want to see happen. If they want it to die, let it work on IOS devices and if it is clunky, the people who will buy the IOS option no matter what will understand that it is clunky because flash on a mobile device is not much good, the rest will either be told by the apple lovers out there any accept it or they will be grumpy about it no matter what, just like thy are now, but at least they wont see any "Install flash player to view this content" messages.

Of course we are wayyyyy off topic here. Leon, I hope you get your issue sorted, if you had to restore a couple of times and the iPad redownloads the update each time it might have eaten your allowance, but if Octane is on the money about the IOS6 update download size (Which sounds about right) then you would have had to have done that four or five times to do in your allowance. Still very much worth checking your security settings.

leon
01-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks Daniel it is sorted out, and we seem to know now what we are doing, hopefully.

I presume you mean "I Cloud" it is probably the way to go, it takes a bit to get used to these new toys if one is not that proficient in that area.

Thanks for your response.

Leon

bobson
01-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Leon,

iCloud is a cloud storage and cloud computing service from Apple. Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICloud

In other words its a great service for creating backups online server but will consume your download/upload depending how much data you back up or restore from iCloud.

It would be better for you to backup locally if your download allowance is too small. Like on external hard drive or DVD media of data you would not like to lose in case something bad happens.

The advantage of iCloud is that even if you lose your iPad or any device you used to back up data on iCloud you can restore it back from iCloud from anywhere in the world.

cheers

leon
01-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks for your suggestions Bob.

Leon

Regulus
01-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Leon I was happy to see that Telstra gave u back the 4GBs inadvertently used.
Sounds like an OS upgrade but also if it has Navigation software it may have downloaded the maps.
Mine (Navigon) downloaded the NZealand maps (450MB) on start up and I had to then get the Australian ones. Weird how a Nav program couldn't tell I was in Tasmania. All up that was 1GB gone.
I think backing up to you computer or a USB drive is the safest option in terms of preserving your Internet allowance, although I have found cloud storage useful at times (Dropbox) and use it on my Netbook/tablet/PC and phone I don't try to maintain a full system back up because the cost would be steep interms of upload/download. Anyway access info backed up to USB is faster.

Luck with it, they seem like a nice gizmo.

Trevor

Screwdriverone
01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
AHEM, am I the only one who saw this pearler from Leon???? EDIT: nope, seems Trevor beat me to the punch....

How the fudge did you wangle that Leon? Are you a major shareholder or something????

I must say, after working for a number of Telstra dealers over the years, most of the time, this sort of generosity only seems to occur with Enterprise & Corporate clients who spend north of $1Million a year on Telstra services......

If something has changed at Telstra whereby a customer service shakedown has happened, then I am very glad this is the case....kudos to Telstra for fixing this up for Leon, well done!

Glad you got the data allowance back Leon and you are sorting out the iPad, enjoy....

Cheers

Chris

LewisM
02-10-2012, 06:00 AM
I have found Telstra usually willing to do such things - I was hacked for a month once, guy ran me up to a $2000 bill!!! (I was on no throttling, unlimited, but with a specified agreed GB limit). Telstra agreed with me, and only made me pay $250 of the $2000 which I felt fair.

Same with Virgin with me. I had a faulty mobile that would send a message every 3 minutes to the same number for 12 days straight! My bill was something like $620 for one month. They were going to charge me the full amount. I asked for a complete transcript, and after discovering this, and sending me a copy, they completely waivered payment for the month, and sent me a new phone.

Westnet is my service provider now for 5 years. They are nothing short of brilliant in every single way. Never had an issue we could not resolve, and tech service is superb, always.

I cannot say anything positive about another big telco starting with O, so I won't say anything at all :)

Larryp
02-10-2012, 07:35 AM
My son, when he turned 18 several years ago, bought a mobile phone on a contract with Telstra. Ran up a bill of around $1300 the first month! I called Telstra and told them he could not pay and I would have to, and that I had read the riot act to him. They reduced the bill to just over $200, but told me if it happened again, they would not reduce it-needless to say, I was very appreciative!