PDA

View Full Version here: : Paypal without paypal

Chris85
29-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Unsure if this is the rite spot for this, but anyhow..
I'v committed to a purchase from overseas and they requested I pay using PayPal. Is there a way to pay without using PayPal, and just using my credit card? Could I just deposit the funds into their PayPal account?
Cheers people!
Chris

supernova1965
29-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Hi Chris in all honesty you would be better off paying with PayPal you would have buyer protection of a substantial amount and you only give your C/C details to one group PayPal are reputable and it is better than giving your details to every place you buy from. I buy and sell through PayPal and to be honest I resist buying from companies that don't support PayPal.. PayPal is free for buyers the only time they charge is if you sell something they have small posting charges and take a small % of the sale price well worth it for the piece of mind it brings me.

Larryp
29-09-2012, 06:02 PM
I totally agree, and it costs nothing to set up the account.
Its useful to have an account these days-so many people want to do business through Paypal

Moon
29-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Yes, using your credit card.
I could be wrong, but if he sends you a Paypay invoice, I think you can pay by credit card without opening a Paypal account.
Does that answer your question?
James

Barrykgerdes
29-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Yes I was a bit reluctant to use paypal at first. But it is great and accepted just about everywhere now.

I lost my master card last Friday week and had it cancelled. The new one arrived on Thursday and luckily for me I got it validated straight away
because I bid for an item on ebay and it was available straight away as soon as I paid. Well in the middle of this transaction I opened another window on paypal, opened a new A/C and cancelled the old one. I then closed that window and completed the sale on the ebay window, no problem, The goods will be here on Tuesday.

That's how simple it is!

Barry

supernova1965
29-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry in my reply I said they have small posting charges that is eBay not PayPal and I typed Monday instead of mind:screwy: damn dyslexia.

2stroke
30-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Lol i would choose paypal anyday of the week, its the safest method today.

tuppence
30-09-2012, 10:29 AM
I totally agree with supernova1965. I have used PayPal for several years with no problem. I also like the fact that you are not giving all your credit card details to all and sundry.

MrB
30-09-2012, 10:39 AM
I have used eBay for 11 years and Paypal for almost as long, I would not use anything else.
Infact, I have never owned a credit card.

Colin_Fraser
30-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Ditto. Had Paypal linked to my debit card. Topped up Paypal when I wanted to purchase an item.

MrB
30-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Same. There was a very brief period years ago when I didn't have to wait the 3-5 working days for added funds to clear when transferring from the debit card, funds were instantly available.
PP stopped doing that for some reason. I guess they figured they could make some more money using my money while it is clearing. I really don't mind, as the service is free otherwise. And it gives me a 'cooldown' period on those spur-of-the-moment purchases with big pricetags ;)
I usually have 500 to 1000 on reserve, they'd be making cash on that too, but again, this is no different to a traditional bank so I don't mind.

mithrandir
30-09-2012, 01:23 PM
I have PayPal linked to a bank account. No problems with CC/DC expiring.

Colin_Fraser
30-09-2012, 03:10 PM
:eyepop::eyepop:
My reserve is more like $20

brian nordstrom
30-09-2012, 05:19 PM
:thumbsup: That makes 2 of us Simon , I have never had a credit card either , scary stuff , credit cards get to many people into unnessary debt today :sadeyes: .
Pay pal , as its your money you are using , not some bank that only sees you as an income source .:) at 20+ % ,, ouch ! .
Brian.

Barrykgerdes
30-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I love my credit card. Saves me heaps. Never paid interest. Never put more on it than I have in the bank. Pay it as soon as the bill arrives and gives me a good record of expenses.

Barry

Chris85
30-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all your comments people.
I'm in the process now of creating a PayPal account, but in the meantime my brother has been kind enough to let me use his to pay for my goods :-)

ZeroID
01-10-2012, 07:23 AM
+1 here. Convenience is the game.

gbeal
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm in the same boat as Barry, the credit card is a convenience thing, but I never use the interest side of the credit.
Let me relate a recent experience I had with PayPal though, especially for all those that believe PayPal is THE cats whiskers for safe transactions. And bear in mind I have a bit of buying and selling history, most or all of it good. OK, I got biffed off Astromart, but that's another story.
A few months back I decided I wanted a Televue 102, to use with a soon to be acquired SolarMax 90 etalon, they are plug and play, well screw and play.
I placed a few wanted adverts, and a few days later was contacted per e mail by a seller in Europe, nothing unusual. The price was about what I expected, and the pictures looked good. We had plenty of to and fro on e mail and I paid using PayPal, and fortunately I had a zero balance at the time, so the full amount (950 Euros) came from my credit card. (and for those that don't have credit cards, how do you engage with PayPal, I thought it was a requirement??).
That same day of the PayPal transaction I was contacted by phone from Arizona, a PayPal rep rang just to ensure the transaction was OK, as it was a large amount, and paid to another country. I told him if I was buying in my own country I didn't need PayPal, but the US mentality couldn't see this for some reason. He also assured me that if the item didn't arrive, or if it arrived in a different condition to that described, they would look after me. I was concerned that they had rang, but he said it was merely to "reach out and be pro-active", so I was happy.
Bottom line was the seller was a scam, I had paid for something that never arrived, never will. What to do? Contacted PayPal, started a dispute. Escalated that to a claim once I read that others had been taken by the same name. Waited a period, and then received notification that PayPal had declined the claim as the item was not "tangible". There is fine print that says if the item is not tangible, and few other reasons then they don't pay out. I questioned them repeatedly but believe me contacting them is a one way street, annoying and frustrating. They changed their tune to quote the reason that the item wasn't covered was that the scam was via a third party, and they weren't responsible for this. Bollocks.
In the end I gave up, and simply spoke with my credit card company, who listened, and eventually completed a "charge-back". A week or less later the same amount was reversed into my Visa account.
PayPal were not happy about this obviously but by then I had had it.
So, cautionary tale, use the credit card as well as PayPal, it gets a bit more security, don't go through life assuming PayPal will bail you out, in my case they were as bad as the scammer.
Gary

astroron
01-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I use PayPal, but only have a debit card, so no money in PayPal account:D
PayPal has in the past got me a refund on my payment by a company who refused to refund me my money after a failed purchase,so upto now I am happy with their service:)
Cheers:thumbsup:

supernova1965
01-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Hi Gary,

PayPal isn't magic we still need to use our own instinct when it comes to who we buy off I have never had issues with PayPal and the vast majority have been dealt with fairly that is not to say that people don't have problems but they are rare.

All the best

Warren

Larryp
01-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I once bought a generator on Ebay and paid via Paypal. The seller "had" 20 generators, but I did not receive mine, and I gather from the comments under the sellers name, nobody else did either.
I filed a complaint with Paypal and eventually they refunded my money, but I guess anyone who paid by direct deposit, etc.,lost their money.

MrB
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Like a couple of others above, I have also had payments refunded by PP, twice, no dramas.
Largest sum was approx $400.

multiweb
01-10-2012, 02:27 PM
+1 Paypal is the safest way to pay. In case of dispute it is the only way you might get a refund. Direct payment and your money's history.

Exfso
01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I reckon paypal is brilliant. I purchased some software supposedly from a seller Melbourne as it turned out it was in China, anyway the software was fake, and paypal gave me my money back, no problems.