PDA

View Full Version here: : Duty/GST on astronomy gear?

MrB
28-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I recall reading somewhere quite some time ago, that duty or GST was not applicable to imports of telescopes and optics?
I have not been able to find any reliable info on the customs website.

Anyway, I found the following on the Fpi-Protostar (http://www.fpi-protostar.com/foreign.htm) website, does anyone know if this, or something similar, applies to Australia?

" Duties vary from country to country, and many countries have no duty for our products. To check your own country, use the following "HS Tariff" code for our products:

900590 "Parts and accessories of binoculars, monoculars,
and other optical telescopes (including mountings)"

(This is an international code used to determine what your duty payment will be.)

If it used to be the case, and it all changed with the tax overhaul and introduction of GST... then DAMN YOU JOHN HOWARD! :lol:

Terry B
28-09-2012, 10:57 PM
You pay GST on all imports over $1000.
Telescopes are import duty free but still have GST if it costs more than $1000. This includes the freight costs.

MrB
28-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Cheers Terry, I thought it was one or the other.
Do you know if this extends to telescope parts like primary/secondary mirrors, focusers etc?

Terry B
28-09-2012, 11:20 PM
When I looked at the list on the customs website I didn't find any astro stuff that has extra duty. It was all exempt but you should check if you have a specific item in mind.

pgc hunter
28-09-2012, 11:55 PM
I had to pay GST on my Zambuto mirror, that was 10% of the cost of the product. Plus customs charges, admin fees and all that rubbish, I think the total fees ended up being something like $400. :rolleyes: Luckily the Aussie $ was buying over $1.06 US when I made the purchase so that offset the fees somewhat.

GST is only applicable to purchases over $1000.

sopticals
29-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Over here in New Zealand the GST comes in at NZ$400. So should the item together with the cost of freight comes to $400 (US$320) one gets hit:sadeyes: with customs inspection fees, MAF (Ministries of agricultue and fisheries charges), and a GST rate of 15% on all of the preceeding. No joke,:mad2: if you want to import astro gear. Plus dont expect to see your stuff for some time, as the customs clearance process here is quite slow. It wasnt so bad a year or so back when the GST start point was NZ$1000 and GST was 12.5%.

tlgerdes
29-09-2012, 08:30 AM
That is one point you need to remember, GST assessment = Item cost + freight cost > $1000AUD

Terry B
29-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I have just imported a new scope and it went OK.
~$1700 plus freight of ~$400 with TNT. The only costs here was the 10% GST and a $55 fee. Customs clearance by TNT occurred as soon as I had paid the fee and this was on a Saturday. The entire process took less than 2 weeks.
Still over $1000 cheaper an buying it herre in Oz.

brian nordstrom
29-09-2012, 10:07 AM
:) When I got my Zeiss scope sent from Tauranga NZ to here in Darwin Au , it took 6 days to land on my door , quicker than OZpost city to city here , TNT sent it .
I payed the one off $55 as well and 10%gst, not bad at all .
Brian .

MortonH
29-09-2012, 10:14 AM
I must have been lucky last year when I ordered my Stellarvue 110ED from the US. It was on special and reduced from $1295 to $995. The Aussie/US dollars were around parity at the time. I thought great, it's under the $1000 limit for GST. The shipping cost was around $200 and I didn't realise it would be included. But lucky me, it came through very quickly with no additional costs.

Morton

pgc hunter
29-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Just looked thru the receipt for my mirror and GST was 10% plus customs/agency fees which added about another $230.

RickS
29-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Actually, it's like this:
- if item cost > $1000 then GST is due
- GST = 10% of (item cost + freight)
- You pay: GST + misc charges

An item which cost $950 should not attract GST charges, even if shipping was an additional $100.

Cheers,
Rick.

MrB
29-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Cheers to everyone for responding.
I was aware GST applied over 1k for imports, just wasn't sure if it was Duty or GST that was exempt from Astro gear, or if the exemption was even still applicable.
I'm looking at purchasing a Royce conical primary, which will be well over 1k.

Thanks all for the answers :thumbsup:

Visionoz
01-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Simon

IIRC the Tariff Classification to use is 90058000 and Stat Code of 54
The form for goods by post is "Import Declaration (N10) - Post" which is obtained online from the customs website
Here is the link for that classification: Common Imported Goods (http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Commonly_Imported_Goods.pdf) and it is termed as "Telescopes and other optical astronomical Instruments"

edit: added a snapshot of the details for GST/etc

HTH
Cheers
Bill