PDA

View Full Version here: : Canon 60d or 7d?

Irish stargazer
22-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Hi
I'm considering a camera upgrade around Xmas time from my current 450d. It will be mainly for astro work but also as a general purpose camera for day shots. I am considering either the canon 60d or the 7d. Is there any advantage astrowise in the 7d? The main factors are image noise , high ISO performance etc. Not fussy about continuous shooting speed, autofocus speed etc...
Anyone have experience of these cameras?

MrB
22-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Both have the same sensor size, the 7D tho is likely to be higher spec.
The 60D's flip-out rotatable screen is great for astro work, which saves you contorting while trying to see what the focus is like or when going thru the menu. This is obviously a moot point if you use Backyard EOS or similar cam control software.
The 60Da has the flip screen too, but also has extended red response for Ha AP.
Based on Canons advertising, I suspect the 60Da may have the same low noise sensor that the 7D has, but I have no way of proving that, short of voiding my warranty and opening my Da and someone's 7D to look at the sensor model numbers.
I am also surprised how well the daylight shots are with the Da, very rarely see over-red in images, tho sometimes black shirts will appear red, I assume due to the red die used. This can ofcourse be corrected with a filter.

MrB
22-09-2012, 08:25 PM
I feel I need to emphasise just how good the flip-out rotatable screen is.
It might seem like a small thing, but it really does make a huge difference.
After using a modded 300D, a non-modded 400D and now the 60Da for astro work, I will never again use a DSLR without a flip-out screen for astro. They are literally a pain in the neck!
There are other 60D/60Da users on IIS that have made this point too.

Irish stargazer
22-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks Simon
The flip screen is what attracted me to the 60d, especially on an equatorial mount. If the 7d had this it would be no contest. I am very interested in the noise performance of the 60d versus the 7d given the price difference.

mickyj
29-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Yes, the flip screen makes the 60d the better choice for what you want to do. I have the 7D and tried a 60d. I preffered the 60d :(

Waxing_Gibbous
01-10-2012, 06:12 PM
IIRC, the 60D does not have the build quality (polycarnonate body v. magnesium alloy on the 7D) or much in the way of weather sealing.
Probably a moot point if you are using it for mainly for AP, but a consideration if you're going to be out and about a lot.
Try www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com) for a full comparison.

Irish stargazer
01-10-2012, 06:29 PM
I picked up the 7D in the end. Its a very solid camera. Haven't had a chance to test the ISO noise but it does seem pretty sensitive. A 10 second shot in light polluted Cherrybrook picked up a few stars in my 450D. In the 7D it was washed out by the background light. It seems much more sensitive even at the same ISO setting. Hoping to take it to Wiruna this month to try out. Its tack sharp

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8309/8038733873_74055cab17_k.jpg