PDA

View Full Version here: : Should this be happening to a MoonLite Focuser

FlashDrive
21-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Should this be happening to a MoonLite Focuser that's about 12 months old. :(

Anyone else had this experience ...!! :shrug: ...Draw Tube looks ' crappie ' ... and now has a ' slight ' roughness to it.

I'm about to send an Email ( friendly one ;) ) to Ron Newman.

Flash ..!!

Star Catcher
21-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Hi Col
You have a few bung bearings. Let Ron know and he'll sort you out.
Ted

Shiraz
21-09-2012, 06:12 PM
happened to mine - the bearings were OK, but the surface developed some minute pits which just grew as the resulting powder clumped on the surfaces of the bearing races. Ron expressed surprise, but said that it would not affect performance. eventually most of the hard coating flaked off and I sanded the edges back a bit - still works fine if a bit noisy and crap looking. I suggested they mill some flat tracks for the bearings, but I don't think they ever did. When you think about it, 2 orthogonal cylinders have almost zero contact area, so it's not surprising that the hard coating can give way. Regards Ray

allan gould
21-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Just made a post about this elsewhere. Looks as if one or two of your bearings have gone. There was a problem in that Ron's supplier dispatched Chinese bearings rather than those from the US that proved to be not up to specifications. He replaced all my bearings including the draw tube as the cracked bearings do exactly what you show in your photos. The cracks can be very difficult to see unless you know exactly what to look for. Ron will replace them and stand behind his product.
Allan

FlashDrive
21-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks people for your response ..I have emailed Ron ... and included the Photo's as attachments.

I'll post Ron's response here when I get a reply.

From what you are saying Allan ... things look positive.

Flash ..!!

Shiraz
21-09-2012, 06:33 PM
maybe I should re-send my earlier email.Thanks for bringing it up. Regards Ray

FlashDrive
22-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Received a reply from Ron Newman ... copy and paste from my email.

Hi Col,

Sorry for the trouble. It should work perfect. I can replace it if needed.

Normal wear marks are OK- But that drawtube looks like something is contaminating the area between the bearings and drawtube and started to erode the drawtube anodizing off. I can replace the focuser if needed--- It should not do that. We did have a bad batch of bearings a while back with the wrong grease in side the bearings ? maybe that caused the issue.

Let me know-- I'll make sure it gets taken care of.

thanks
Ron
MoonLite
www.focuser.com (http://www.focuser.com)

Ron certainly stands behind his product.
I will proceed to have mine fixed ...don't mind the inconvenience when such great service is afforded to his customers.

Quite right to Allan ... he mentions the ' bad batch ' of bearings again.
Thanks for passing this on to us here ..!!

Hope this info will help any others needing attention to their MoonLite Focuser.

Flash ..!! :thumbsup: