PDA

View Full Version here: : Red LED's

Peteren
19-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Have purchased some of these in different colours for other uses and thought the red ones would make good night lights

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8941__Turnigy_High_Density_R_C_LE D_Flexible_Strip_Red_1mtr_.html

troypiggo
19-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Isn't that what Allan had at Astrofest? They were awesome for actually attracting people to his scope to see what they were and trip over his cables. The opposite of his intention lol.

Peteren
19-09-2012, 07:23 PM
LOL, not the intent at all and I think a lot of people use them.

Just that the price of LED strip lights is sometimes over the top and this site has them for less than a cup of coffee per meter

MrB
19-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I bought a stack of this stuff(Blue, White and Red) from HK years ago for various uses. It works great and very bright.
You can get it cheaper if buying in bulk on ebay, but I threw it in when padding out a large HK order.
HK are very cunning in this respect... they tell you how much the total weight of your order is and how much extra weight you can add before freight increases to the next level... I find myself buying all sorts of handy little things I wouldn't normally have bought ;)

Peteren
19-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Yes HobbyKing are very good at that. I did the same with the LEDs and ended up using the white ones as bench lighting.

Mounted under the bottom shelf over the bench the result is many times brighter than fluro tubes and they are virtually invisible when not in use

Just finished mounting them on the tripod, may need to remove a few!

Marke
19-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I got mine off Ebay for about $13 for 5m lengths including postage - they are dirt cheap and work great .
I used mine here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=92644

space oddity
19-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I bought several sets of such strip LEDs on eBay for very little cost to set up an under the house fixed lighting system . Made brackets for the wires out of left over perspex and hooked the whole lot to a 12 volt power supply that enters near the computers, so all I have to do is to plug the 12 volt power supply to the power point and I do not need a torch for mucking around under the house. All I need now is the motivation to set up the storage system in that very squeezy area. You can never be too rich, too slim or have too much storage.

jjjnettie
19-09-2012, 10:25 PM
they would be the $2 kmart xmas lights he got off me. LOL

Like moths flying into a white light globe,
Astronomers do the same to red lights. :) :rofl: