PDA

View Full Version here: : Ridiculous Argument

Waxing_Gibbous
17-09-2012, 05:17 PM
My wife and I are having a "discussion" involving tea cups, or more accurately, mugs.

For convenience, I maintain that they can be placed on the window sill above the sink (once properly washed & dried of course)

She claims this is "trashy".
I claim it is very contry-cottage and positively exudes quaintitude.

In support of my opinion, I know for a fact that the late Duchess of Beaufort (ya don't get much posher) kept mugs on the windowsill in her 'workaday' kitchen at least.

On the other hand, my wife grew up here and probably knows the local customs better than I do.
When in Rome, etc. etc.

What do you, the reader, think?
I am willing to abide by the majority decision.

brian nordstrom
17-09-2012, 05:20 PM
;) 1 vote here , for "Trashsy" :lol:.
Brian.

inline_online
17-09-2012, 05:42 PM
My vote would be for 'not trashy' but i've learned that it is ofter better to ensure that the wife is happy.
Happy wife = happy life;)

tlgerdes
17-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Sorry Pete, I am on your wifes side with this. Crockery should be put away when clean.

Larryp
17-09-2012, 05:46 PM
ditto

mithrandir
17-09-2012, 05:52 PM
SWMBO is in the "must be put away" camp. I suppose I agree as there's less dust in the glass front cup/mug/coffee pot cabinet than I find on the window sill.

multiweb
17-09-2012, 05:55 PM
+1 way too much crap and flies on the windowsill to leave cups facing up.

jjjnettie
17-09-2012, 06:06 PM
If you wish to keep YOUR cup on the window sill, I see no problem with that. If she wants her cups in the cupboard, so be it.
Personally, I wouldn't want flies, moths and the obligatory dead bee making their way into my cup. :)

FlashDrive
17-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Ummm... errrrr... I'm on the fence with this one... to each his own ..!! :rolleyes:

Baddad
17-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Hi,

Insects that have invited themselves into the house often spend much time at the window looking to escape. Dead in a teacup. I say no more.

Cheers

GrahamL
17-09-2012, 06:30 PM
You have already lost this one imo ,,grasping at the straws by bringing it here ?, ,, well,,, good luck when you take it back to the high court .

Shark Bait
17-09-2012, 06:33 PM
If I want to stir the pot with my better half, I just leave the toilet seat up. ;)

Cups on the window sill........now I have another trick up my sleeve. :wink2:

Regulus
17-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm all for exuding quaintitude but I have to say I'm in the putting away in the quaint cupboard side of this polite disagreement.
Personally my favourite mug sits right next to the jug while it boils when it is not in my hand.

tlgerdes
17-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Is that a hornets nest you just kicked? :lol:

blink138
17-09-2012, 06:49 PM
jeez peter dont you know that "country cottage" is so yesterday ha ha!
and by the way more importantly SWMBO IS the majority decision maker double ha ha!
give it up mate resistance is futile!
pat

blink138
17-09-2012, 06:58 PM
i have never been sure exactly why girls dont like us to leave the loo seat up....... wether they think it is just ugly or........ that THEY have to put it down!
and do you know what.... i have never bothered to ask!
however i think it is because they have to close it all of the time, so for the last twenty years when i have drained the spuds, i put BOTH lids down so that they still have to at least do half the work!
there has never been an argument over it since.
i also have a beauty for people who leave the toothpaste top open...... but that is a different story!!
pat

Waxing_Gibbous
17-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Siiigghhhh.
I'm clearly outclassed here.
If it makes any difference, I do set the mugs upside down :shrug:

Barrykgerdes
17-09-2012, 08:21 PM
You should not put the mugs on any ledge. Else they can get knocked off and broke. All decent mugs have handle so that you can hang them on cup hooks. Don't tell me you never heard of cup hooks. I am sure you can get them from Bunnings.

Just get as many as you need and screw them into any convenient over hanging ledge.

Barry

jjjnettie
17-09-2012, 08:29 PM
re. toilet seats
Both the seat and lid down thank you.

AstralTraveller
17-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Regarding mugs. Even I wouldn't eat out of anything that had been on my window sill. But after I wash up my mug it's time for another cuppa anyway.

Regarding TS etiquette. If I have to pick it up she can put it down. :mad: At least she has the option. My aim isn't good enough to leave it down but she could rough it with the seat up - there's no way that posterior would fall into the bowl. :P

Gem
17-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Depends on the height. The higher the better. If it is very low and close to the sink... then no.

blink138
17-09-2012, 09:37 PM
OMG!!!! you are either very brave or you have some bizarre death wish!!!
i can feel my toes scrunching up my shoes right now!!........ooooh no!
pat

TrevorW
17-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Trashy :P

troypiggo
18-09-2012, 03:46 PM
My wife would be the same about not leaving the cups on window sill, however has no problem walking in the front door and dumping keys, handbag, mail, and everything else all over the kitchen bench where meals are prepared!

multiweb
18-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Well in her defence I'd say we all touch loose change in coins or even notes most days and don't think twice about it when eating.

Varangian
18-09-2012, 04:14 PM
You're being lazy using the guise of poshness to support your argument. I see through you and applaud you. Mugs should be put as close to the kettle as possible to mitigate any steps to the cupboard. If that's the mantle piece then so be it. Why would you put a mug away in a cupboard when you're only going to get it out again for another cup of tea? Ridiculous.

troypiggo
18-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm not worried about "germs", it's about the clutter ;)

troypiggo
18-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I think you're on to something.

Keep the cups in the cupboard and put the kettle (plugged in) in there with them. :thumbsup:

Trixie
18-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Mine usually end up sitting in the dish rack which is very trashy. When I have time I put them away in the cupboard.

My now six year old made me laugh a couple of years ago when he came out of the toilet in a grump saying "mummy, you left the toilet seat down AGAIN!". He had a point, as I am the only female in the house so I am outnumbered!

chrisp9au
18-09-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm with Dan, happy wife = happy life
And anyway, whilst she's not always right, she's never been known to be wrong!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Chris

brian nordstrom
18-09-2012, 06:24 PM
:shrug: especially when the cups get left on the sill , and a new telescope enters the house :eyepop: , sweet lady .
Brian.

taminga16
19-09-2012, 11:21 AM
ARGUMENTS
· A woman has the last word in any argument.
· Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

THE THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Greg.

Kunama
19-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Cups on the window sill around here is akin to poking a sleeping bear with a short stick .............. ain't worth the bloodshed !

multiweb
19-09-2012, 11:46 AM
:lol: I like that.