PDA

View Full Version here: : Out of Memory

LewisM
16-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Until 3 days ago, I NEVER had a problem with virtual memory or RAM. I used to be able to run DSS, MaxIM DL and PS CS5.1 without problems. I am using XP SP3.

The last 3 days, even try to stack 10 JPEG's (whereas before I was stacking RAWS - 40 plus), I continually get Insufficient Memory excpetions etc in ALL programs.

I have run Memtest till I was blue in the face - no RAM issues. I have swapped RAM - same results. So, I am assuming there is a memory hog somewhere in my software that starts up automatically.

Now, I have run spyware, malware checks etc - always a clean system. So it is not an infection.

Any help in trying to figure out WHY I am running out of memory, whereas before I had NO issues, would be greatly appreciated, because as-is, I cannot process ANYTHING!

04Stefan07
16-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Check Task Manager and see if there is a particular process or application that is hogging all the memory.

Also check Event Viewer (it logs everything that the system does). On XP it is found in:
- Start, control panel, performance and maintenance, administrative tools, computer management.
- When you are in the console (MMC) click event viewer

Hope this helps!

acropolite
16-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Check your remaining HDD capacity, it may be that there's insufficient space for the swapfile. It might also be worth doing a defrag.

LewisM
16-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Tried all that. Oddly, the defrag status shows SEVERLY fragmented (red EVERYWHERE), yet it only half defrags and says it is finished. That's using MS's defrag, and WiseCare 365 defrag. Never seen this before - is there a way to FORCE defrag? Or should I just reload windows on the partition?

REALLY bugging me, because basically, nothing has changed.

Colin_Fraser
16-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi LewisM,
I think Phil is on the money although you may run into problems defragging.
Windows Defrag worked but SP3 broke it so to speak. Wisecare is not much better.
Try going to the XP security options and checking "Clear Virtual Memory File"
Windows will then clear the file and restart the machine.

LewisM
16-09-2012, 10:00 PM
I've tried everything now. I have cleared tons of space on C. I have defragged. The computer runs FAST. Just does not make sense.

I get the same messages in DSS, MaxIM and PS CS5.1.

Don't know what to do short of reloading Windows - or repair install.

Colin_Fraser
17-09-2012, 09:18 AM
What processes are running and how much memory are they using?
How much RAM do you have?
How many hard drives are there? If only one, how many partitions?
Have you ran HijackThis? If so, anything unusual in the log file? If not, run it.
What have you changed or installed or removed in the past week?
What anti-virus software are you running?

LewisM
17-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I uninstalled and reinstalled MalwareBytes AV - the new update seemed to be odd. BIG improvement after this, and now I can defrag C down to 38% :D

Running 4GB ram (3.12 in XP naturally), dual core processors. I shut down EVERYTHING non-essential before stacking. I have only 4GB of free space on C, which seems to potentially be the issue - I cannot seem to make DSS use my terrabyte external as the temp locale (even though the post-stacking autosaves go there). Since I am stacking 21 MB (5616x3744) images, this COULD be the issue, though previously it was NOT an issue.

Driving me nuts!

When it's stacking, the progress bars are a blur (processing that fast), and yet it usually runs out JUST prior to posting the result...

mithrandir
17-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Lewis, you can fudge some of the external disk to be part of your C: drive. I would be surprised if DSS was smart enough to detect this. You will probably find you can not can not unmount/eject the external disk.

Directory names are just examples.

1) assuming you have some unallocated space on the external drive (or can resize an existing partition to free some up):

mkdir C:\dsstempspace

create a new partition on the external drive and have Windows mount it as C:\dsstempspace - you do this from "My Computer" -> "Manage" -> "Disk Management"

2) download "SysInternals Suite" (or just junction.exe) from Microsoft (they bought the company). Suppose your external disk is E: then

mkdir E:\dsstempspace

junction C:\dsstempspace E:\dsstempspace

and tell DSS to use c:\dsstempspace

You can also add another swap file on the external disk.

FlashDrive
17-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I used to own a Computer years ago that did the same thing ..!!
Always out of memory ...!!

I ended up calling my Computer ' The Alzheimer's Box'

Flash .. !! :D

LewisM
18-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Andrew, I got all that together, but in dos, it won't recognise the junction command, even though Junction is installed. What goes on there?

mithrandir
18-09-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm typing on Win7 and doing XP from memory so the words might not match what you see exactly.

DOS? You mean a "Command Prompt"? The one you get by "Start -> Run" "cmd.exe" if the "Command Prompt" start menu item is hidden.

If you are not in the same directory where junction lives you will have to specify the fully qualified name. It is easier to cd to there. I have the directory with all the SysInternals program in my path.

Also, the first time you run almost all of the SysInternals programs you have to accept the EULA, either in the pop-up window, or by adding the undocumented /accepteula option to the command line. There are a few reg files floating around the internet with all the correct registry entries to add the EULA flags.

LewisM
18-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Andrew,
Yes, running via the cmd command from RUN.

I accepted the EULA, and it did it's small DOS thing, then disappeared etc :)

I'll try again. I put junction in C this time :) And now it works

LewisM
19-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Gave up on the desktop - got a new laptop with 12 GB ram and an i7 processor. If that can't stack my RAWs, NOTHING will!

Colin_Fraser
19-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat :thumbsup:

MrB
19-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Interesting, I had the same problem with PixInsight, I just figured it was all I could expect. Max I could stack was 3 RAW's.

Were you really able to stack 40 RAW subs before?
I seem to have a similar machine and cam to yours, so I might haveto have a go at solving the problem.
I have 4GB RAM, Win7 x32, T7500 Core2Duo (2.2GHz) and subs from a 60Da.