PDA

View Full Version here: : Hello from NYC

Matt Wastell
16-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Hi all,

Been in NYC for about a week with work and will be leaving tomorrow for a busier week - Greensboro, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Dallas.
This is a big place - if you walked the length of Manhattan Island it would take more than four hours (probably 5)....and it is all city! The buildings are all so big thing look as if they are only a block away.....a block away...........
Not being too interested in travel, I have really enjoyed the trip and have done a few of the mainstream tourist things and a few off beat things too.

Speak more when I am back in Aus!

Dennis
16-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Hi Matt

Thanks for the photos, it looks a busy place. Not much opportunity for astronomy huh, the views would suck, what little there are!

Cheers

Dennis

wavelandscott
16-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Glad that you enjoyed the Big Apple...I work near Grand Central Station. NYC is an exciting place and the USA in general is wonderful but it is not Australia which is a magical place in itself...

Be sure to try some of the regional food while you are traveling across the US. For example in Cincinnati try the local chili...

BlackWidow
16-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Great stuff Matt. Was over in NY last year and loved it.. Yes very big place and I have walked the length of Manhattan. Good to see you got to see the Flat Iron building, it's a real piece of art to look at. Hope you had time to do Central Park as that is really nice. You can forget you are in the middle of one of the largest City's in the world. Did you get you name up in lights? You can do that in Time Square at the Hershey's Store for $5.00. Think a hello to all the iis crew would be good, then post us the image....

Have a great time
Mardy

gary
16-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Hi Scott,

That also has the advantage that every morning and afternoon of your commute
you can glance up at the ceiling of Grand Central and get your fix of stars.

Here is an article that appeared in the The Examiner in Sep 2009 as to why,
with the exception of Orion, the images of the constellations on the roof are
reversed. And there is an Australian connection there as well.
http://www.examiner.com/article/a-mystery-grand-central-terminal-nyc-solved

multiweb
16-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Nice pics. You can see the one world trade center at the back which is getting taller than the empire state building.

Liz
16-09-2012, 03:31 PM
How exciting Matt, hope all goes well. :thumbsup:

lacad01
16-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Sounds great Matt, I was lucky to get a work trip to New Jersey a couple years ago and spent a few days in Manhattan. Fantastic place and would love to go back again some day.

barx1963
16-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Matt, I was in NYC this time last year. Absolutely loved it. So much to look at, the 7 days we had in total just wasn't enough.
Best thing was a walking tour with a crowd called Real New York Tours. Excellent value with a local guide, saw lots of little things many people would miss!

Malcolm

bobson
16-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I came back from New York just a few weeks ago. Amazing place! Pity I didn't know about that name up in lights next to Hershey's store. I was obsessed with all that chocolate at Hershey's and world largest one for $40 dollars! So my daughter had to have one :)

Have a good time mate!

wavelandscott
16-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Gary,

Thanks for that interesting bit of trivia...I did not know it. I pass through a small portion of the main terminal building so only get a quick glance but have always felt that it was somehow wrong. I've shrugged it off to my being tired from the trip (in or out) but as I read your link the light bulb went off. It is wonderful as art!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Matt Wastell
22-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks all - got back into Brisbane at 5am this morning - I had no trouble in syncing to US time on my way - but did not do too well on the way back - I am so tired and can not sleep.....and what is worse no Sun here today!!!!
It was a great trip - unfortunately I did not to get to see too much in the second week as we just ran the whole time. Great to be back!