PDA

View Full Version here: : Sources of Power for multiple bits of gear

iceman
02-05-2006, 06:28 AM
Ok i've got the "jump starter" battery from the car shop, and with the cigarette lighter adapter it does fine running either my EQ platform (which can also run on 8xAA's), or my 12v hair dryer.

I'm starting to think about adding a cooling fan and/or peltier cooling system, and so how to power them comes to mind.

Do I need a separate power source for each bit of gear? Is there a way to fork the power from the power pack so that you can plug in multiple cigarette lighter adapters?

Would I be best to just get a cheap 12v gel cell or something to run the cooling fan? Both the EQ platform and 12v hair dryer need the cigarette plug input.

I'm a newbie when it comes to power type things so be gentle and talk slowly :)

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

[1ponders]
02-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Maybe RB can build you one of his power stations (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8150)Mike. Looked ike he could run half of Sydney of it.

iceman
02-05-2006, 08:06 AM
I'd love one! I'd be the envy of the Kulnura gang ;)

But I imagine it would be too costly, since it has a large truck battery, an inverter and all sorts of bits and pieces. Plus, RB has a lot on his plate and I'm sure he doesn't need me putting more onto it.. cause he's such a nice guy he'd probably say yes ;)

RB
02-05-2006, 10:52 AM
It is hard for me to say no Mike but you're right atm I'm flat out.
I've had to say no to a few other people's requests for bits'n'pieces too.

The power box I think is overkill for you and it's expensive.

As I understand it you only need 12v right?

The first option is to look at getting a 12v cig lighter double adaptor like this one from Jaycar (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP2006&CATID=35&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=466) or such.

You might find that it is going to be a drain on the battery you have now so next option is to get a deep cycle 12v Marine battery with multiple 12v cig outlets. You should be able to run it all then.

If you do go with a car/marine batt you'll also need a charger to recharge it, unless you already have one.
I'd recommend this one from Jaycar (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3602&CATID=18&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=295). It allows you to leave it on indefinitely so you don't overcharge and ruin the battery.

Go with the double 12v cig adaptors first and see if the jumper battery can hold up.

JohnG
02-05-2006, 11:56 AM
For what it's worth, I just drilled out a couple more holes in my power pack and put extra cigarette sockets in, running separate leads to each.

Works fine using a Losmandy with Gemini (which draws 2 amps) and a Laptop.

JohnG

Starkler
02-05-2006, 12:25 PM
The cooling fan, or eq platform shouldnt use too much power, but once you start talking peltiers and hair dryers they can place a big load on the battery and run it down very quickly.

iceman
02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Ok I bought a digitor Cigarette Lighter Y adapter (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4456e4fa08fb90362742c0a87f9c072a/Product/View/P1691) from d.ick smith for $8.75.

This will get me by for the hairdryer and platform (both already have cigarette lighter adapters).

I still need to power the 12v fan I just bought.. I've got an old cell sitting at home, will try and hook it up to that.

RB
02-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Can you get to the terminals of your jumper battery?
Just use some wire and run it to the fan making sure you have the correct polarity.

iceman
02-05-2006, 03:14 PM
hmm not to my memory.. unless I cut some holes in the plastic.

Will have a look tonight.

RB
02-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Or else unscrew one of the cig lighter sockets and hook the wire to the centre pin to the positive of the fan and the other to the negative of the fan.
I know it's rough as guts but it will work.
Make sure you don't short the terminals out and make sure the wires are secure before you put the cig lighter socket back together again.