PDA

View Full Version here: : Well done Alex!

Mariposa
13-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Few days ago, I saw in the news that Alex Zanardi won gold at the paralympics, immediately I recognised his name, even though I haven't heard from him for a long, long time.

Rewind back to the late 90s and early 2000's Alex Zanardi was one of the most exiting drivers to watch in the then popular Indy car series. This was the time when Shumacher dominated F1, turning it boring and predictable, I decided to follow the Indy series, filled with stellar drivers, among then Emerson Fittipaldi, Robbie Gordon, the Andrettis, and the begginning of the likes of Franchitti and Villeneuve.

I remember enjoying Zanardi's celebrations with his famous "donuts" everytime he won a race. A then, in 2001 during a German GP he suffered a near fatal accident that severed both legs and left him in a coma for weeks.

After a long recovery, he actually managed to appear at the same track two years later to finish the 13 laps that he didn't complete when the accident happened, in a specilly adapted car. That was an emotional return, but it was the end of his career as a driver....that was also the last time I heard from him.

What a wonderful surprise to hear that his love for speed was channeled in a different area and now is a gold medal winner.

Well deserved Alex!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0N1gLOx3Os&feature=related

Waxing_Gibbous
13-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Like you, I assumed he just sort of drifted away.
Well done indeed.

MrB
13-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Awesome! I used to watch Indy series back then too (road circuits only, the ovals were sooo boring).
I would never have made the connection though so thanks for pointing it out :D

inline_online
13-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I watched that cycling race at the Paralympics and couldn't believe it when I heard Alex's name. I used to watch him race the Champ cars and it was awful when he had his accident. I had no idea that he had gotten into cycling.
I am glad that he is still a successful sportsman.