PDA

View Full Version here: : Poor Scope

josh
01-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey all
Bad times for me now as me scope is now out of order. I was installing bobs nobs on my lx90 the other day. i was following the instructions as carefully as i possible. All was going well, first nob in, take out secong coll srew.. then.. the sound..:eyepop: it was a cross between a clink and a crack and went straight through me heart. No screws will go in the hole now and me worried that mirror could fall out if i mess around to much.
Anyone know a good place to take it for a look in Brisbane?:help:
Ive already tried calling the shop i got it from and they gave me some good tips but to no avail.
At the moment theres is no damage and im sure it could be fixed by a good techi.
Me sad cause i just got my dsi now scope is sick.

[1ponders]
01-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Ouch! You could try StarOptics at Mermaid Beach on the Gold Coast (Meade dealers), Sirius Optics at Underwood Rd in Brisvegas (don't know if they deal with meade though).

leon
01-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Josh

I suggest you mess around a bit more, take your time, look at each step you take and you will learn heaps, and put it all back together again.
Don't be afraid of telescopes, they can be totally dismantalled and put back together again, and probably work better than before. :) :)

[1ponders]
01-05-2006, 06:45 PM
If you feel confident enough to take the corrector plate of make sure you mark the orientation of the plate in relation to to tube and mark where the shims sit under the corrector plate so they go back in the same place. It's not difficult, but will be nerve wracking the first time :P

acropolite
01-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Josh, I agree with Paul and Leon, removing the corrector plate to fix the problem is a piece of cake. You do need to put some index marks on the corrector and OTA as well as the secondary holder. I was faced with the job after my secondary holder became loose and had to be retightened. If you want some instructions go to Jan's LX90 pages. (http://m1.aol.com/kewtasheck/)

Striker
01-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Lex at Star optics Gold Coast is a Authorised Meade Dealer so if all else fails try him.

astropolak
01-05-2006, 07:14 PM
I had problems with my Bobs Knobs collimation screws when I tried to install.
The LX90LNT has longer screws than the earlier model (it has 6 screws, 3 collimation screws and 3 more to mount the secondary onto the corrector plate.
Please make sure that the length of Bobs Knobs is the same as screws you take out. Screw the first Bobs Knobs screw fully in, the second screw you haven't touched fully in as well and try again. If this fails talk to someone who actually has seen the corrector plate dismantled - Don from Bintel in Sydney.

RGDS Joe

josh
02-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks all
Im to scared to take it apart myself, keep having visions of the secondary falling out and rolling down to smash the primary:eek:
I had the shakes just thinking about it.
Me vs scope:fight:
Bintel helped me out and gave me the details of a guy up the coast who knows his stuff, so im off for alittle drive
Ill let you all know how it goes
Thanks again for the advice