PDA

View Full Version here: : I must be crazy...CRAZY....

LewisM
10-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Decided I am selling the 180 Maksutov... seriously folks, reflectors of any nature and I don't get along. I've tried, we have irreconcilable differences. I am not sure why.

So, sticking to the ED80, and hopefully when/if the Mak sells (it's on Gumtree now - still can't post on the trader here being a NOOB), going up to the ED120, with the ED80 riding shotgun as guidescope (WAY overkill, but... :) )

Anyone else out there a died in the wool Refractorite? I am raising both hands :)

No offence to Reflectorians, but they just don't suit me. My wife keeps telling me size doesn't matter, it's attention to details that count :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now, to tech matters - any problems with an ED120 on an HEQ5 with an ED80 guiding? Not overweight? Not going to send $4000 (total) to the bin if at zenith the whole lot goes crashing like a Zeppelin?

graham.hobart
11-09-2012, 02:12 PM
I have three refractors and two reflectors and I nearly always use the refractors due to ease of use, and less likely to sail about in the wind.
Also so much easier to align without yoga!
z
Graz

Larryp
11-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I started off in 1985 with a Schmidt-Cass, then bought an 80mm refractor as a grab and go.
Sold the S/C and have never owned anything but refractors since. Easy to use, better contrast than any other type of scope,lovely pinpoint stars and no collimation.

LewisM
11-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Settled on a 6" achromatic refractor - probably go the extra mile and add an Aries chromacor as discussed elsewhere, and a Bintel or GSO (same anyway!) Crayford. Might work out the same price as an ED120 apo in the end, but I gots 30mm extra :)

Picking up the beast tomorrow.

gb_astro
11-09-2012, 06:28 PM
That's a fair bit of weight for a HEQ5.
I think that rig would be a lot happier on a NEQ6.
Even more so now you have gone with a 6'.
gb.

brian nordstrom
11-09-2012, 07:27 PM
;) Hi fellow refractorholic , see my list of scopes below , I to love their ease of use and quality or the star images ,, :question: there is something about them .
But If someone wanted to sell me C14 on CGE mount at a great price , I would be sorely tempted .. :confused2:.
The HEQ5 would be strugling a bit I think as well when you add , camers , auto guider , and other AP gear , it would work but the ballance would have to be :D spot on .
Good luck Lewis , and please keep us informed .
Brian.

Nico13
12-09-2012, 05:16 PM
One of each, side by side, best of both worlds.
A bit of a hasle setting up each time but great to be able to swap camera and eye peice from one to the other as you decide what's best doing for the night, deep space or wider field. :thumbsup:

MattT
12-09-2012, 06:05 PM
No not crazy...you are now a member of RA....Refractorholics Anonymous, I only have 3 of the things.
Now it's your turn....Hi I'm (insert name here) and I'm a Refractorholic...:2thumbs:
Matt