PDA

View Full Version here: : Change over to the NBN today.

sheeny
10-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Finally... today's the change over day to the NBN for me. Still on satellite, still the same speed, but 20G peak and 20G off peak for the same money I'm spending for 3G peak and 12 G off peak.

Al.

Omaroo
10-09-2012, 08:02 AM
What sort of performance changes are you expecting Al?

sheeny
10-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I don't expect any Chris. The speeds up and down are the same. Better value (i.e. more bandwidth for the same money) is about all I expect.

I'm looking forward to not having to worry so much about exceeding my monthly peak bandwidth. With 2 teenagers in the house as well as me, sometimes the bandwidth takes a flogging...

Al.

supernova1965
10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Great news that extra bandwidth will be usefull I can't wait till we get hooked up as we should be getting 20mbs but the copper can only manage around 10mbs. I reckon it is well worth the investment the country is making in this vital infrastructure. Well over due in my opinion.

sheeny
10-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Satellite is up to 6 Mbs download and 1 Mbs upload.

Al.

Omaroo
10-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Ah crap Al, sorry - I didn't read your intro well enough. I was under the impression that "NBN" equated to fibre. Period. Wasn't that their whole selling point?

sheeny
10-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I think they make a big deal of the fibre side of things. For most people that's what they'll get, but obviously they still won't get everyone so satellite is still part of the plan.

Al.

taminga16
10-09-2012, 10:40 AM
And here I am still waiting for a functional Digital Television service, the sattellite costs are a contentious issue and I am seriously comtemplating upgrading my Hi-Fi again, purchasing a second sports car, a new library, selling the telly and starting a theatre group :).
Greg.
P.S. There is a HC fibre optic cable that runs past my front gate, sadly it services a Prison facility up the road and the public (who paid for it) will never be able to use it nor will it be duplicated.

gary
10-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Hi Al,

Currently you will be using what is referred to as the Interim Satellite
Service with the Long Term Service satellites due to be launched in

The interim service uses the legacy Optus/IPStar satellites primarily
designed for telephone and television.

The Long Term Service uses entirely different technology and will
double your download speed to 12Mbps. Operating in the Ka band,
they are purpose engineered to deliver broadband.

See http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/documents/nbn-co-interim-satellite-qa-jul-11.pdf

astroron
10-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Al.
What sort of money are you paying for such a huge amount of bandwidth:question: (To me that is a huge amount anyway):eyepop:
I have never had more than 4 gig in my life time on the net:sadeyes:
I get 2gig peak and 2gig off peak for $40.00:sadeyes:
My cost went up by $10.00 for the same amount of bandwidth.:mad2:
Cheers

supernova1965
10-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Hey Ron try my provider out I have my home phone unlimited Australian calls 2 mobiles unlimited australian calls and unlimited Internet @ 20 mbs all for $28 per week.

http://http://www.oneseniors.com.au/

astroron
10-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Warren I am on Satellite,so no chance of getting what you get.:sadeyes:
Cheers:thumbsup:

supernova1965
10-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Bugger I think you told me that once before OOPS MS brain:rofl:

sheeny
10-09-2012, 01:03 PM
$90 a month Ron. When I was single, I could survive on 3Gig no probs on ADSL1;).

Two teenagers on farcebook, and a partner that embarks on remote scrapbooking projects with her sister also take their toll.:lol: Got to keep in mind too that satellite counts both uploads and downloads, not just downloads.

I am hoping I don't need the 20/20G... its just the same money as what I'm paying now and I'm looking forward to not having to worry about exceeding our peak bandwidth. When it settles down, I hope to down size to an appropriately sized peak bandwidth plan.

Al.

astroron
10-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Warren,iceinspace needs a "Like " button;)

astroron
10-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Al, I have never experienced ADSL:( so can't compare it with what I have got, but when I see the bandwidth offered to people on ADSL and what I get I sometimes want to cry:sad:
Such a paltry amount and it goes so quick I always have to buy more data:mad2:

gary
10-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Hi Ron,

You might like to make an inquiry as to whether you are eligible for what is
known as the NBN Interim Satellite Service.

This service is designed to provide a transition from the Australian Broadband
Guarantee (ABG) program eventually to the Long Term Satellite service.

At a technical level, the aging Optus satellites the Interim Service has leased
capacity from only have a limited amount of available bandwidth.

First priority was being given to those eligible customers who currently have no
alternate access to commercial broadband services. Obviously remote clinics
and the like were first cab off the rank.

However, I understand that they have opened up that a little bit and for customers
who had an existing service under the ABG for more than three years,
you might be eligible for transition to the Interim Service.

You can find out more by visiting this web site http://www.nbnco.com.au/rollout/about-the-nbn/fibre-wireless-satellite/satellite.html

There is an online form you can complete to see if you are eligible or you can talk
to them on the phone.

There is also this document entitled "NBN Interim Satellite Service Eligibility
Criteria" -
http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/documents/eligibility-criteria-interim-satellite-service.pdf

See also -
http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/documents/nbn-co-interim-satellite-qa-jul-11.pdf

In the longer term, once the new Ka band satellites are launched, unless your area is
serviced by a NBN Fixed Wireless service, you will be on these faster, much higher
capacity NBN satellites. Unlike the Optus satellites, they have several tighter footprints
to better service satellite broadband users where they actually live and use the Ka
band (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_band) (Optus only use Ku band) to provide more bandwidth.

They are currently being built in the U.S. by Space Systems/Loral who have just
been bought by MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates (MDA).
See http://www.ssloral.com/html/satexp/nbnco1a_1b.html

astroron
10-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks Gary,:thanx: I am already on that system,have been so since January this year.
What I am whinging about is ;) is the low amount of bandwidth for my dollar.:(
When I see people on ADSL with anywhere from 20-100 Gig,and paying less or not much more than I am for my lousy 4Gig.:mad2:
Whinge ended:P
I look forward to getting the uprated system, that is unless the coalition get in and scrap it:rolleyes:

sheeny
10-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Yeah I hear ya, Ron. I used to pay $40 a month for unlimited bandwidth on ADSL1 when I was in town (and that probably wasn't the cheapest unlimited plan if I'd shopped around). I haven't found an unlimited satellite plan yet, and it is expensive compared to ADSL.

Al.

sheeny
10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Ah well... the change over isn't happening today.

Apparently the roof is too flexible for such a big dish so they have to install a pole... some other time.:rolleyes:

Al.

astroron
10-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Al,
I looked at all the Satellite providers,in the list from the NBN company,and they where nearly all the same except for changing the "Bonus" (what a load of s***) times.
Some companies didn't even have an Address only a Mobile phone number:rolleyes:
So am stuck with a company I didn't want to be with in the first place.:mad2:
I joined originally with one company, and they sold out to the company I am with now which irked me no end:mad2:

mithrandir
10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Al, one of my mates has a property in FNQ. Rather than get switched to a new satellite when NBN felt like doing it, they bit the bullet and paid to be upgraded as soon as a satellite with the right footprint was available so they would not get a service interruption.

supernova1965
10-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I have thought that myself about a like button:D

strongmanmike
10-09-2012, 09:38 PM
For someone in the internet and publishing game I am a little surprised at this response Chris :question:. The amount of info out there about the NBN and how it is already working and will work into the future is pretty large :shrug:

It's pretty exciting really :thumbsup:

Mike